* Equivalent of release tags with bzr?
@ 2009-12-29 20:10 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-12-29 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

With CVS, I would tag each pretest with a cvs tag, with
`cvs tag EMACS_PRETEST_XX_YY_ZZ'.  Now that we have moved to Bzr, what
should be the corresponding procedure?

* Re: Equivalent of release tags with bzr?
@ 2009-12-29 20:43 ` Christian Faulhammer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christian Faulhammer @ 2009-12-29 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>:

> With CVS, I would tag each pretest with a cvs tag, with
> `cvs tag EMACS_PRETEST_XX_YY_ZZ'.  Now that we have moved to Bzr, what
> should be the corresponding procedure?

 bzr tag EMACS_PRETEST_XX_YY_ZZ on trunk, I suppose.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Equivalent of release tags with bzr?
@ 2009-12-29 21:46 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-12-29 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> With CVS, I would tag each pretest with a cvs tag, with
> `cvs tag EMACS_PRETEST_XX_YY_ZZ'.  Now that we have moved to Bzr, what
> should be the corresponding procedure?

There's a "bzr tag" command. Isn't that what you're looking for?

Purpose: Create, remove or modify a tag naming a revision.
Usage:   bzr tag TAG_NAME

  --force               Replace existing tags.
  -v, --verbose         Display more information.
  -h, --help            Show help message.
  -q, --quiet           Only display errors and warnings.
  -d ARG, --directory=ARG
                        Branch in which to place the tag.
  --usage               Show usage message and options.
  -r ARG, --revision=ARG
                        See "help revisionspec" for details.
  --delete              Delete this tag rather than placing it.

  Tags give human-meaningful names to revisions.  Commands that take a -r
  (--revision) option can be given -rtag:X, where X is any previously
  created tag.

  Tags are stored in the branch.  Tags are copied from one branch to another
  along when you branch, push, pull or merge.

  It is an error to give a tag name that already exists unless you pass
  --force, in which case the tag is moved to point to the new revision.

  To rename a tag (change the name but keep it on the same revsion), run ``bzr
  tag new-name -r tag:old-name`` and then ``bzr tag --delete oldname``.

See also: commit, tags

    Juanma

* Re: Equivalent of release tags with bzr?
@ 2009-12-29 21:59 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2009-12-29 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> With CVS, I would tag each pretest with a cvs tag, with
> `cvs tag EMACS_PRETEST_XX_YY_ZZ'.  Now that we have moved to Bzr, what
> should be the corresponding procedure?

As Juanma says, there is a `tag' command. Sadly, it seems
underdocumented.

I did some experiments and it seems to work this way:

on your local trunk mirror,

bzr tag <name>

will tag the current tip revision with <name>. If your local mirror is a
bound branch or checkout (the recommended setup on our bzr guides for
emacs devs) it will automatically send the tag upstream. If you are
tagging on a proper branch, you'll need a `push' for propagating it; the
push command will report that it is nothing to push, but it is a lie: it
actually pushed the tag to its push location.

Later, you can operate with the tagged revision with the syntax
tag:<name>, so for instance

bzr log -r tag:<name>..

will show the log from the tagged revision to now.

bzr branch -r tag:<name> URL

will create a branch with the tagged revision as its tip.

You can see a list of availabe tags on the current branch with

bzr tags

HTH

--
Óscar

* Re: Equivalent of release tags with bzr?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-29 22:16 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-12-29 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:10:00 -0500, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> With CVS, I would tag each pretest with a cvs tag, with
> `cvs tag EMACS_PRETEST_XX_YY_ZZ'.  Now that we have moved to Bzr, what
> should be the corresponding procedure?

You can just run "bzr tag EMACS_PRETEST_XX_YY_ZZ".  This will not show
up as a commit in the history, but the new tags will be visible in the
output of "bzr tags".

If the branch you tagged is a _bound_ branch, the tag will be sent to
the remote branch too.

If your local branch is not bound, then you can "bzr push" it.  You can
ignore the slightly misleading message "bzr push" will show.  For some
reason bzr treats tags in a special way reports that "no revisions have
been pushed", but the tag is installed in the remote repository as one
would expect.

* Re: Equivalent of release tags with bzr?
@ 2009-12-31  5:50   ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2009-12-31  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

On Dec 29, 2009, at 17:16, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> If your local branch is not bound, then you can "bzr push" it.  You
> can
> ignore the slightly misleading message "bzr push" will show.  For some
> reason bzr treats tags in a special way reports that "no revisions
> have
> been pushed", but the tag is installed in the remote repository as one
> would expect.

Well, a tag isn't a separate revision, is it?  So the message is
accurate, if misleading.
Perhaps bzr *should* treat tags specially in that pushing them
upstream should be noted, or at least the "no revisions pushed"
message could be suppressed or altered.

Ken

* Re: Equivalent of release tags with bzr?
@ 2009-12-31  9:40     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2009-12-31  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Raeburn; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@raeburn.org> writes:

> Well, a tag isn't a separate revision, is it?  So the message is accurate,
> if misleading.

bzr should at least say that a tag was pushed, as a confirmation that
the upstream branch was changed.  It should also confirm when a tag was
downloaded.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Equivalent of release tags with bzr?
@ 2009-12-31 12:40       ` Christian Faulhammer
From: Christian Faulhammer @ 2009-12-31 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions; +Cc: Ken Raeburn

 https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/164450