* Suggestion: Have `C-x v =' run `diff-backup'
@ 2011-04-14 13:19 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-04-14 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

When looking at files, I often wonder what the diff is between the
current version and the previous one, so my fingers go `C-x v ='
automatically, only to be presented with "No fileset is available here".

Wouldn't it be nice if that command, if there was no fileset there, and
there were backup files, would then run `diff-backup' instead of just
erroring out?

* Re: Suggestion: Have `C-x v =' run `diff-backup'
@ 2011-04-14 13:41 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-04-14 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

2011/4/14 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>:
> When looking at files, I often wonder what the diff is between the
> current version and the previous one, so my fingers go `C-x v ='
> automatically, only to be presented with "No fileset is available here".
>
> Wouldn't it be nice if that command, if there was no fileset there, and
> there were backup files, would then run `diff-backup' instead of just
> erroring out?

I guess this would be confusing to many people if they're not aware of
this behaviour. If this is implemented, maybe it would be best to tell
the user that there is no fileset and ask if s?he wants to diff with
the backup?

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Suggestion: Have `C-x v =' run `diff-backup'
@ 2011-04-14 14:32   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2011-04-14 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

Deniz> 2011/4/14 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>:
>> When looking at files, I often wonder what the diff is between the
>> current version and the previous one, so my fingers go `C-x v ='
>> automatically, only to be presented with "No fileset is available here".
>>
>> Wouldn't it be nice if that command, if there was no fileset there, and
>> there were backup files, would then run `diff-backup' instead of just
>> erroring out?

Deniz> I guess this would be confusing to many people if they're not aware of
Deniz> this behaviour. If this is implemented, maybe it would be best to tell
Deniz> the user that there is no fileset and ask if s?he wants to diff with
Deniz> the backup?

How about, if there are no differences, put a "diff against previous
revision" button into the *vc-diff* buffer?

Tom

* Re: Suggestion: Have `C-x v =' run `diff-backup'
@ 2011-04-14 14:56   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-04-14 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:41:08 +0200 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:

DD> 2011/4/14 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>:
>> When looking at files, I often wonder what the diff is between the
>> current version and the previous one, so my fingers go `C-x v ='
>> automatically, only to be presented with "No fileset is available here".
>>
>> Wouldn't it be nice if that command, if there was no fileset there, and
>> there were backup files, would then run `diff-backup' instead of just
>> erroring out?
>>

DD> I guess this would be confusing to many people if they're not aware of
DD> this behaviour. If this is implemented, maybe it would be best to tell
DD> the user that there is no fileset and ask if s?he wants to diff with
DD> the backup?

I also think this would be useful.

Ted

* Re: Suggestion: Have `C-x v =' run `diff-backup'
@ 2011-04-14 14:57     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-04-14 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:32:21 -0600 Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:

Deniz> 2011/4/14 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>:
>>> When looking at files, I often wonder what the diff is between the
>>> current version and the previous one, so my fingers go `C-x v ='
>>> automatically, only to be presented with "No fileset is available here".
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be nice if that command, if there was no fileset there, and
>>> there were backup files, would then run `diff-backup' instead of just
>>> erroring out?

Deniz> I guess this would be confusing to many people if they're not aware of
Deniz> this behaviour. If this is implemented, maybe it would be best to tell
Deniz> the user that there is no fileset and ask if s?he wants to diff with
Deniz> the backup?

Tom> How about, if there are no differences, put a "diff against previous
Tom> revision" button into the *vc-diff* buffer?

Buttons are slow.  Maybe it would be OK to just do
(y-or-n-p "There are no changes in this revision, try the previous one?")

Ted

* Re: Suggestion: Have `C-x v =' run `diff-backup'
@ 2011-04-14 15:06       ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-04-14 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

2011/4/14 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:

> Deniz> I guess this would be confusing to many people if they're not aware of
> Deniz> this behaviour. If this is implemented, maybe it would be best to tell
> Deniz> the user that there is no fileset and ask if s?he wants to diff with
> Deniz> the backup?
>
> Tom> How about, if there are no differences, put a "diff against previous
> Tom> revision" button into the *vc-diff* buffer?
>
> Buttons are slow.  Maybe it would be OK to just do
> (y-or-n-p "There are no changes in this revision, try the previous one?")

Is that what the suggestion was about? I think Lars means that if the
file is not version controlled, he wants to compare the buffer
contents to the backup file.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Suggestion: Have `C-x v =' run `diff-backup'
@ 2011-04-14 15:14         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-04-14 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 17:06:37 +0200 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:

Deniz> I guess this would be confusing to many people if they're not aware of
Deniz> this behaviour. If this is implemented, maybe it would be best to tell
Deniz> the user that there is no fileset and ask if s?he wants to diff with
Deniz> the backup?

Tom> How about, if there are no differences, put a "diff against previous
Tom> revision" button into the *vc-diff* buffer?
>>
>> Buttons are slow.  Maybe it would be OK to just do
>> (y-or-n-p "There are no changes in this revision, try the previous one?")
>>

DD> Is that what the suggestion was about? I think Lars means that if the
DD> file is not version controlled, he wants to compare the buffer
DD> contents to the backup file.

Tom suggested something different: if `C-x v =' finds no different, no
matter the backend, to try the previous revision.  This would work with
backup files, too.

Ted