From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: RFC: defcustom display-popup-menus for display-popup-menus-p
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 15:43:53 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 22:28:08 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> I propose a new boolean defcustom `display-popup-menus' so users can
>> disable graphical popups.

EZ> display-popup-menus-p is supposed to be a capability-reporting
EZ> function, like display-graphic-p.  It shouldn't be customizable.  What
EZ> should be customizable are the Lisp programs which ask questions via
EZ> popup menus.  The function you mention, read-multiple-choice, already
EZ> allows that via the existing variable use-dialog-box.

Hrm, I missed that in the code. Sorry.

I think `use-dialog-box' should be mentioned in the function docstring
for `read-multiple-choice' maybe? So other people catch it?

EZ> Btw, the dialog/menu should only pop up if the command itself was
EZ> invoked via a mouse.  Since you say you don't want to click the mouse,
EZ> I wonder how come you got that popup menu in the first place.

Gnus, when reading an article with HTML images, throws a NSM graphical
popup about trusting the image origin. But Gnus will otherwise show the
NSM text prompt. So it must be something at the HTML interaction with
EWW that breaks the dialog detection logic. For example this article did
it:

news.gmane.org gwene.com.feedburner.webupd8:2034

(My personal opinion is that using the mouse should not influence the UI
flow, so I've disabled `use-dialog-box' for myself. I think in general
graphical dialogs are a problem with Emacs. They jump out of the frame,
steal focus, carry very little useful information, and are not natively
part of the Emacs interface. I'd much rather see the Emacs frame get
blanked by an in-frame dialog box implemented with native widgets but in
an Emacs context.)

Ted