* Some hard numbers about contributions to Magit
@ 2017-07-10 15:16 Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2017-07-10 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

Some more hard numbers, this time about who has contributed how much to
Magit:

  https://magit.vc/stats/authors.html

This was generated using `gitstats' (http://gitstats.sourceforge.net).

If you are only interested in how many commits each contributor made,
but not how many lines s/he added/removed, then you can also use:

  git shortlog -n -s -e

  Cheers,
  Jonas

* Re: Some hard numbers about contributions to Magit
@ 2017-07-10 23:32 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-07-10 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > https://magit.vc/stats/authors.html

I will take a look at that page.  Thanks.

  > If you are only interested in how many commits each contributor made,
  > but not how many lines s/he added/removed, then you can also use:

What matters for the purpose of legal papers is the amount of code,
rather than the number of commits.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Some hard numbers about contributions to Magit
@ 2017-07-13 18:25   ` Filipe Silva
From: Filipe Silva @ 2017-07-13 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Jonas Bernoulli, Emacs developers

Richard, How does that work exactly? if there's less than 15 lines per
commit is it all fine? Or do you have to actually sum up all the lines of
all commits done by the author to verify if he wrote a non trivial part of
the program and thus the legal paperwork procedure should be triggered?

@ 2017-07-13 19:07     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-07-13 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipe Silva; +Cc: jonas, rms, emacs-devel

> From: Filipe Silva <filipe.silva@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 15:25:15 -0300
> Cc: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>, Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Richard, How does that work exactly? if there's less than 15 lines per commit is it all fine? Or do you have to
> actually sum up all the lines of all commits done by the author to verify if he wrote a non trivial part of the
> program and thus the legal paperwork procedure should be triggered?

The latter: we can accept contributions from someone until the sum of
them amounts to about 15 lines.

* Re: Some hard numbers about contributions to Magit
@ 2017-07-14  2:45       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-07-14  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> The latter: we can accept contributions from someone until the sum of
> them amounts to about 15 lines.

Actually, it's only the lines that remain in the end result
that matter.  Usually it's pretty much the same as the sum of the lines
of all commits, but sometimes it's less because some of that code was
later removed/replaced.

* Re: Some hard numbers about contributions to Magit
@ 2017-07-14 16:38         ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2017-07-14 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 14.07.2017 04:45, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> The latter: we can accept contributions from someone until the sum of
>> them amounts to about 15 lines.
> Actually, it's only the lines that remain in the end result
> that matter.  Usually it's pretty much the same as the sum of the lines
> of all commits, but sometimes it's less because some of that code was
> later removed/replaced.
>

>          Stefan

Gladly formulas like E = mc² cover just one line.

* Re: Some hard numbers about contributions to Magit
@ 2017-07-16 14:09         ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2017-07-16 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel