* roadmap for a multi-threaded, multi-core Emacs?
@ 2023-10-02 23:10 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-10-02 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Do we have a roadmap for a multi-threaded, multi-core Emacs?

What I mean is, do we have a plan for that to
happen, ultimately?

If one had such a roadmap, maybe one would have the whole
picture becoming more clear - but also, possibly one could
identify areas where we could do incremental steps, to reach
the goal?

And those steps could be beneficial in their own right, as is
often the case as, if the goal is good, the steps there are
good as well?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: roadmap for a multi-threaded, multi-core Emacs?
@ 2023-10-03  6:08 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-03  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
> Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 01:10:10 +0200
>
> Do we have a roadmap for a multi-threaded, multi-core Emacs?
>
> What I mean is, do we have a plan for that to
> happen, ultimately?

We have general goals, not a detailed plan with specific changes in
various Emacs subsystems.  Figuring out the (non-trivial) details is
part of the job, I think, as there can be different approaches with
correspondingly different trade-offs.

* Re: roadmap for a multi-threaded, multi-core Emacs?
@ 2023-10-03 19:47   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-10-03 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> What I mean is, do we have a plan for that to
>> happen, ultimately?
>
> We have general goals, not a detailed plan with specific
> changes in various Emacs subsystems. Figuring out the
> (non-trivial) details is part of the job, I think, as there
> can be different approaches with correspondingly different
> trade-offs.

Is there a document or anything where efforts are coordinated?

General or detailed?

--

@ 2023-10-04  7:33     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-04  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
> Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 21:47:34 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >> What I mean is, do we have a plan for that to
> >> happen, ultimately?
> >
> > We have general goals, not a detailed plan with specific
> > changes in various Emacs subsystems. Figuring out the
> > (non-trivial) details is part of the job, I think, as there
> > can be different approaches with correspondingly different
> > trade-offs.
>
> Is there a document or anything where efforts are coordinated?
>
> General or detailed?

Not that I know of.  Primarily, IMO, because there are no efforts yet
to coordinate.

* Re: roadmap for a multi-threaded, multi-core Emacs?
@ 2023-10-04 13:30       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-10-04 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>> We have general goals, not a detailed plan with specific
>>> changes in various Emacs subsystems. Figuring out the
>>> (non-trivial) details is part of the job, I think, as
>>> there can be different approaches with correspondingly
>>> different trade-offs.
>>
>> Is there a document or anything where efforts
>> are coordinated?
>>
>> General or detailed?
>
> Not that I know of. Primarily, IMO, because there are no
> efforts yet to coordinate.

If we say officially that we go for a multi-threaded Emacs
I am positive a lot of guys will want to be part of that.