* PCL-CVS: commit updates the wrong lines
@ 2005-01-09 21:08 Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2005-01-09 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a CVS mode buffer created using the `cvs-examine' command, if I
commit a file in a subdirectory, after committing the line is not
updated with the version of the new revision.  Instead, a line is added
in the buffer in the top directory listing.

Example: I start with this:

,----
| In directory .:
|               Unknown                 .htaccess
|               Unknown                 404.php
|               Unknown                 rain.jpg
| In directory include:
|               Modified                include/foo.include
`----

I commit the file include/foo.include using `c' on the corresponding
line.  I get:

,----
| In directory .:
|               Unknown                 .htaccess
|               Unknown                 404.php
| committed     Up-To-Date  1.13        foo.include
|               Unknown                 rain.jpg
| In directory include:
|               Modified                include/foo.include
`----

There is no file named foo.include in the top directory. This bug
appeared sometime before October 2004 and now.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | I'm going out for a little
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | drive, and it may be the last
                                        | time you see me alive.

* Re: PCL-CVS: commit updates the wrong lines
@ 2005-01-09 21:48 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-01-09 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In a CVS mode buffer created using the `cvs-examine' command, if I
> commit a file in a subdirectory, after committing the line is not
> updated with the version of the new revision.  Instead, a line is added
> in the buffer in the top directory listing.

Please check your version of CVS (including the CVS executable on the
server).  Recent CVS (IIRC 1.12.X) output a different message, and in some
intermediate releases it was not only different but ambiguous making it
impossible/difficult for PCL-CVS to tell whether you committed `foo.include'
or `titi/foo.include'.

If you're using cvs-1.12.X, please update to the most recent 1.12.X and
try again.

Otherwise, please show me the contents of the hidden " *cvs-tmp*" buffer
right after the commit finishes.

        Stefan

@ 2005-01-10 15:46   ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2005-01-10 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Please check your version of CVS (including the CVS executable on the
> server).

I'm running version 1.12.9 on both the client and the server.

> If you're using cvs-1.12.X, please update to the most recent 1.12.X and
> try again.

Unfortunately that's not an option, I use the cvs package from Debian
unstable and I'd rather not run unofficial software.

> Otherwise, please show me the contents of the hidden " *cvs-tmp*" buffer
> right after the commit finishes.

The buffer contains this after the commit:

,----
| /var/lib/cvs/www/include/foo.include,v  <--  foo.include
| new revision: 1.14; previous revision: 1.13
`----

The problem is that it's missing the "Checking in include/foo.include;"
line, right?

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | Last night the whole of hell
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | came down to bathe and dine

@ 2005-01-10 17:31     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-01-10 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ,----
> | /var/lib/cvs/www/include/foo.include,v  <--  foo.include
> | new revision: 1.14; previous revision: 1.13
> `----

> The problem is that it's missing the "Checking in include/foo.include;"
> line, right?

In previous CVS versions, there was a "Checking in include/foo.include;",
indeed, while in more recent versions, they use

   /var/lib/cvs/www/include/foo.include,v  <--  include/foo.include

PCL-CVS has been updated to understand those new messages, but the
intermediate form you're seeing is just ambiguous and you'll have to live
with it until Debian upgrades their package.

* Re: PCL-CVS: commit updates the wrong lines
@ 2005-01-10 18:41       ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2005-01-10 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In previous CVS versions, there was a "Checking in include/foo.include;",
> indeed, while in more recent versions, they use

>    /var/lib/cvs/www/include/foo.include,v  <--  include/foo.include
>    new revision: 1.14; previous revision: 1.13

Right.

> PCL-CVS has been updated to understand those new messages, but the
> intermediate form you're seeing is just ambiguous and you'll have to live
> with it until Debian upgrades their package.

I'll do some lobbying there to fix CVS in Debian.  Thank you for your
insight,

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | I just thought I'd go out
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | with a little bit more style.

* Re: PCL-CVS: commit updates the wrong lines
@ 2005-01-10 21:16     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-01-10 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise wrote:
> Unfortunately that's not an option, I use the cvs package from Debian
> unstable and I'd rather not run unofficial software.
   ^^^^^^^^                        ^^^^^^^^^^
Does anyone else find that humorous?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: PCL-CVS: commit updates the wrong lines
@ 2005-01-11  7:19       ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2005-01-11  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Does anyone else find that humorous?

Why should they?  `stable' and `official' aren't synonyms in my book.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | There's no stronger wind than
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | the one that blows down a

@ 2005-01-11 12:01       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2005-01-11 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Romain Francoise wrote:
>> Unfortunately that's not an option, I use the cvs package from Debian
>> unstable and I'd rather not run unofficial software.
>  ^^^^^^^^                        ^^^^^^^^^^
> Does anyone else find that humorous?

It is indeed somewhat unexpected that Debian _unstable_ normally
contains the most recent _stable_ releases of all the software.

Kai

* Re: PCL-CVS: commit updates the wrong lines
@ 2005-01-11 15:12         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-01-11 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> It is indeed somewhat unexpected that Debian _unstable_ normally
> contains the most recent _stable_ releases of all the software.

It's because `unstable' does not refer to the status of the software but of
the packaging (things like configuration, compilation flags, package
dependencies, subdivision of a single software distribution into several
Debian packages, ...).

* Re: PCL-CVS: commit updates the wrong lines
@ 2005-01-17  7:28       ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2005-01-17  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

>    /var/lib/cvs/www/include/foo.include,v  <--  include/foo.include
>    new revision: 1.14; previous revision: 1.13

> PCL-CVS has been updated to understand those new messages, but the
> intermediate form you're seeing is just ambiguous and you'll have to live
> with it until Debian upgrades their package.

Just a note for people reading the archives: the cvs package in Debian
has been changed to remove this ambiguity and now uses the same format
as newer versions (1.12.10 and up).  The package (1.12.9-10) should hit
the mirrors in about twelve hours,

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | With your feet in the air and
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | your head on the ground.