On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:13:18 -0400 Ted Zlatanov wrote: TZ> Without comments, I will assume a general OK on these two things: TZ> - move to the GnuTLS 3.x API and require that version of the libraries. Related to this discussion and to bug#14774 (audit_log function, which is only in GnuTLS 3.x)... I found that many platforms are still on GnuTLS 2.x. Unfortunately I think we should keep compatibility with 2.x for a while longer and make the 3.x features optional. I hate that ambiguity and testing is made harder, but OTOH we would keep supporting many users. Here's a simple patch that finds GnuTLS 3.x and sets HAVE_GNUTLS3. In that case we set the audit_log function; otherwise we keep compatibility. Note the configure message that GnuTLS 3.x is highly recommended. Let me know what you think and if I should be more forceful here. If I should keep the compatibility path I will also add a `gnutls-library-version' string variable so ELisp code can use it and start moving on the tasks listed in this thread. Thanks Ted