On 2016-12-02 Fri 22:54 GMT-0800, Matthew Carter wrote: > Michael Heerdegen writes: > >> Hong Xu writes: >> >>> In the current master branch, it seems that the variable shr-start has >>> never been used in any sensible way: Every time its value is referred, >>> it is bound to nil. Should it be considered to be removed? >> >> Are you sure it is always bound to nil when referenced in `shr-tag-a'? >> I would expect it can be changed by side effect in the body, and the >> let-binding is there to make that change temporary. >> >> >> Michael. >> > > It looks like it's bound at the top defvar level (and changed via setq > in the img function), so those let's to nil in certain functions are > likely to inhibit the current setting when those functions begin to > run. That's exactly what I meant: Every time it is referred, it is bound to nil by a let.