* GNU Emacs: A configurable browser
@ 2022-01-15  7:07 Anand Tamariya
From: Anand Tamariya @ 2022-01-15  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Now you can use GNU Emacs as a full featured and easily configurable
browser. Here's a short video demonstrating the features.

*Video:* https://youtu.be/y1k_lA2VUYg

*Features:*
- Adblock
- Disabled tracking API (navigator.sendBeacon())
- Inline videos à la Youtube
- Hit-a-Hint
- Keyboard based navigation: left/right character for left/right scroll,
prev/next line, prev/next page, beginning/end of buffer for top/end of
page, +/-/z for zoom in/out/reset
- Multi-input modes: single key interactive mode, line input mode via
minibuffer and textarea input mode via new buffer
- Password auto-fill and management via authinfo
- Configurable Home page and search URL
- Bookmarks
- Download unsupported mime types
- User script à la Tampermonkey / Greasemonkey
- User styles
- Developer tools / Web Inspector

Finally you can have a browser as you want.

*Details:*
https://lifeofpenguin.blogspot.com/2022/01/gnu-emacs-configurable-browser.html
*Code:*
https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/src/xwidget.c

https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/lisp/xwidget.el
https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/lisp/webkit/webkit-ace.el

https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/etc/webkit/hints.js
https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/etc/webkit/hints.css

* Re: GNU Emacs: A configurable browser
@ 2022-01-15  7:31 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-15  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Tamariya; +Cc: Emacs Devel, Akira Kyle

Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com> writes:

> https://lifeofpenguin.blogspot.com/2022/01/gnu-emacs-configurable-browser.html

I don't understand why you chose to describe the code in master as a
"competing implementation", if you want to work with us to have your
changes installed, which is what you proceed to say in your article.

I hope that you will improve your choice of words in the future, because
what you have said will result in many people misunderstanding the
nature of the code in master.

> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/src/xwidget.c

It would be much easier for me to review your changes if you based them
off a recent (in contrast with 10 months old) copy of master, and
submitted them in the form of a patch.

Most of the features which you posted are already available in
xwidget-webkit or other areas of Emacs, so I'm confused as to exactly
what changes you have made.  Judging by the code in your repository, you
also have remanants of many irrelevant features, such as support for
xembed.

Could you please explain exactly which changes you have made, remove
irrelevant features from your changes, rebase them onto master, and then
send them as a patch?

Thanks in advance.

> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/lisp/webkit/webkit-ace.el

This file is written by Akira Kyle, not by you, who has been active
around here lately.  Akira, have you signed the papers necessary for it
to be included in Emacs?

> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/etc/webkit/hints.js
> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/etc/webkit/hints.css

To the best of my knowledge, these two files are also written by Akira.

* Re: GNU Emacs: A configurable browser
@ 2022-01-16  2:42   ` Akira Kyle
From: Akira Kyle @ 2022-01-16  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Emacs Devel, Anand Tamariya

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 03:31 PM, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/lisp/webkit/webkit-ace.el
>
> This file is written by Akira Kyle, not by you, who has been
> active
> around here lately.  Akira, have you signed the papers necessary
> for it
> to be included in Emacs?

I am still working on getting my assignment papers signed. I hope
to find some time to make some of these features of emacs-webkit
into a standalone package which will work with
xwidget-webkit. This package could then live on ELPA. I'm not sure
if these features are appropriate for being included in emacs core
as they represent a somewhat opinionated way of doing keyboard
driven web browsing. I suppose if there were a strong desire to
include them in emacs core than I would not object.

>> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/etc/webkit/hints.js
>> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/etc/webkit/hints.css
>
> To the best of my knowledge, these two files are also written by
> Akira.

Yes I also wrote these since the webkit-ace.el link hinting
feature requires interaction with js to function.

* Re: GNU Emacs: A configurable browser
@ 2022-01-16  3:01     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-16  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Kyle; +Cc: Emacs Devel, Anand Tamariya

Akira Kyle <akira@akirakyle.com> writes:

> I am still working on getting my assignment papers signed. I hope to
> find some time to make some of these features of emacs-webkit into a
> standalone package which will work with xwidget-webkit. This package
> could then live on ELPA. I'm not sure if these features are
> appropriate for being included in emacs core as they represent a
> somewhat opinionated way of doing keyboard driven web browsing. I
> suppose if there were a strong desire to include them in emacs core
> than I would not object.

Thanks, I wish you the best of luck in getting your paperwork done.  As
for whether or not to include these features in Emacs (as opposed to
placing them in ELPA), I have no opinion.  Eli or Lars might want to
chime in.

* Re: GNU Emacs: A configurable browser
@ 2022-01-16  5:11 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-01-16  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Tamariya; +Cc: emacs-devel

Does this browser run Javascript code from web sites?
I am afraid it does.

It is a problematical thing that Emacs runs Javascript code from web sites
under any circumstances, but the magnitude of that problem has
bee limited because it wasn't all that convenient as a general browser.
I'm afraid that a menace has now turned into a total failure.