Lawrence Mitchell writes: > Bastien wrote: > > [...] > >> Right. I have come up with another solution, not relying on font-lock, >> but this one doesn't allow the double-quote character in comments. > >> Please improve it if you can. If no objection/suggestion until next >> week, I'll apply this one. > > I think the right way to fix this is to allow ielm to read the > form as it currently does (using read-from-string) and then > discard following input if it contains either merely whitespace > (as is currently the case) or a comment. Of course, you're right. I haven't seen your first patch, sorry. I propose this slightly modified patch below: it uses "\\`[ \t\n]*\\(?:;.*\\)*\\'" ^ ^ in `ielm-is-whitespace-or-comment' so that a sexp like (message "test");; comment ^ <= no whitespace doesn't return an error. I will apply this with the ChangeLog you provided if you agree. Thanks,