* [RFC] Review uuid.el -- library for UUID generation
@ 2010-11-09  4:07 Kan-Ru Chen
From: Kan-Ru Chen @ 2010-11-09  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello list,

I recently started a new library project, uuid-el, for generating UUIDs
for RSS feeds, or other places where UUID are used.  Since this is my
first serious elisp program--a relatively simple one though--I'd like to
take the chance to improve the code and to learn some conventions.

So it would be appreciated if someone could kindly review my uuid.el ;-)

- Kanru

[-- Attachment #2: library for UUID generation --]

* Re: [RFC] Review uuid.el -- library for UUID generation
@ 2010-11-13 16:56 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-11-13 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kan-Ru Chen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Kan-Ru Chen <kanru@kanru.info> writes:

> I recently started a new library project, uuid-el, for generating UUIDs
> for RSS feeds, or other places where UUID are used.  Since this is my
> first serious elisp program--a relatively simple one though--I'd like to
> take the chance to improve the code and to learn some conventions.

Pretty good for a first elisp program.  I don't see any convention
violations.  Just one minor nitpick:

  (let ((address (uuid-get-ieee-address)))
    (mapconcat (lambda (var) (format "%02x" var))
               address "")
    ))

Try not to leave close parentheses on lines by themselves; this tends to
annoy Lisp programmers.

* Re: [RFC] Review uuid.el -- library for UUID generation
@ 2010-11-14  7:08   ` Kan-Ru Chen
From: Kan-Ru Chen @ 2010-11-14  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Kan-Ru Chen <kanru@kanru.info> writes:
>
>> I recently started a new library project, uuid-el, for generating UUIDs
>> for RSS feeds, or other places where UUID are used.  Since this is my
>> first serious elisp program--a relatively simple one though--I'd like to
>> take the chance to improve the code and to learn some conventions.
>
> Pretty good for a first elisp program.  I don't see any convention
> violations.  Just one minor nitpick:
>
>   (let ((address (uuid-get-ieee-address)))
>     (mapconcat (lambda (var) (format "%02x" var))
>                address "")
>     ))
>
> Try not to leave close parentheses on lines by themselves; this tends to
> annoy Lisp programmers.

Thank you.

I've put the updated version on github.

Newer version uses `calc' package for bignum arithmetic, which should
work on more platform.  The only concern I have now is that the
`network-interface-list' and `network-interface-info' aren't widely
implemented or implemented correctly.  For example, only Linux version
of `network-interface-info' will return non-nil HWADDR.

--
A badly written book is only a blunder. A bad translation of a good
book is a crime.