I have an important change to the auth-source API. I am attaching a patch against the Emacs trunk (including Tramp) to change calls of `auth-source-user-or-password' to calls of `auth-source-search'. The code is not well tested yet and I will do a final test before pushing it out in addition to revising the auth.texi manual and providing ChangeLog entries. I want to know if there are any comments or protests before doing this. Katsumi Yamaoka will have to synchronize his push from Gnus with applying the patch, so I want this to be a smooth transition for all the Emacs users and developers. I plan to make it by Saturday 2011-02-10 so please let me know beforehand. auth-source.el lives inside Gnus; the new version is in a branch there. That branch also has *tested* fixes for all the Gnus calls of auth-source-*. That's why the attached Emacs patch doesn't include Gnus changes. I am attaching 1) auth-source.el from the Gnus tzz-auth-source-rewrite branch; 2) the patch against the Emacs trunk including Tramp. Thanks Ted