* Help needed: APL reference documentation in ELPA
@ 2014-05-25 12:07 Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2014-05-25 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Once my employer has signed the copyright papers my intention is to submit
the Emacs mode for GNU APL to ELPA.

I have one concern, and that is the fact that it currently includes
reference documentation that was taken from the IBM APL2 documentation. I
have a license to use this from IBM, but the license is only for this
specific project, which obviously is incompatible with the Emacs license.

Therefore, I wonder if there is any free documentation that I can include
instead, or if no such documentation exists, if someone is perhaps willing
to write it? The work needed is to write a short summary on all the APL
symbols. My own APL skills are not strong enough to do this, and I'm also
not a particularly good documentation writer.

To see the format of the text, here is the file containing the APL2
snippets:

https://github.com/lokedhs/gnu-apl-mode/blob/master/gnu-apl-refdocs-apl2.el

And here is the start of the non-IBM-licensed documentation:

https://github.com/lokedhs/gnu-apl-mode/blob/master/gnu-apl-refdocs-bsd-license.el

The latter is based on Wikipedia and is woefully incomplete (and sometimes
wrong, I'd like to see all of it replaced).

Thanks and regards,
Elias

* Re: Help needed: APL reference documentation in ELPA
@ 2014-05-25 13:28 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2014-05-25 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

() Elias Mårtenson <lokedhs@gmail.com>
() Sun, 25 May 2014 20:07:11 +0800

   I wonder if there is any free documentation that I can include
   instead, or if no such documentation exists, if someone is perhaps
   willing to write it? The work needed is to write a short summary on
   all the APL symbols.

If your employer is open to a short contract to do this job, please mail
me privately.  Even though i don't have any particular references to
provide, and most likely know even less APL than you, i tend to take
documentation (and related disciplines) quite seriously and am happy to
learn as i go.  E.g., i have written most of the documentation for the
packages at:

 http://www.gnuvola.org/software/

as well as some chunks for Emacs, itself (like many other righteous
Emacs lovers, of course -- i am not special in this regard :-D).

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Help needed: APL reference documentation in ELPA
@ 2014-05-25 13:53   ` Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2014-05-25 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Unfortunately, my employer is not involved in this project. What I'm
waiting for is the usual contract that has to be signed by the employer of
any Emacs contributor.

Regards,
Elias

@ 2014-05-25 16:03 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-05-25 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Mårtenson; +Cc: emacs-devel

    I have one concern, and that is the fact that it currently includes
    reference documentation that was taken from the IBM APL2 documentation. I
    have a license to use this from IBM, but the license is only for this
    specific project, which obviously is incompatible with the Emacs license.

Are you planning to include a manual for APL in GNU Emacs?
I don't think that makes sense.  We don't include a C manual in Emacs.

I think it is better to distribute APL documentation separately.

_How_ does IBM permit you to use that material?  Are you distributing
it under a free license?  What license does IBM say you can or must use?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: Help needed: APL reference documentation in ELPA
@ 2014-05-25 16:22   ` Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2014-05-25 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel