* popup menu-bar in lucid
@ 2021-03-07 10:24 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-03-07 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

1. Compile emacs-28 with gtk3 via ./configure <RET>
2. emacs -Q  <RET>
3. Evaluate (menu-bar-mode -1) in scratch.
4. Menu-bar is removed.
5. <F10> brings popup menu-bar.
6. Navigate popup menu with the mouse or arrow keys.

Now repeat above steps for emacs-28 compiled with lucid. The popup menu
can be navigated with the mouse, but not using arrow keys.

This seems to have happened with emacs-28. It does not occur with
emacs-27, where arrow keys can be used.

Colin Baxter.

* Re: popup menu-bar in lucid
@ 2021-03-07 13:20 ` Basil L. Contovounesios
From: Basil L. Contovounesios @ 2021-03-07 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-devel

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> 1. Compile emacs-28 with gtk3 via ./configure <RET>
> 2. emacs -Q  <RET>
> 3. Evaluate (menu-bar-mode -1) in scratch.
> 4. Menu-bar is removed.
> 5. <F10> brings popup menu-bar.
> 6. Navigate popup menu with the mouse or arrow keys.
>
> Now repeat above steps for emacs-28 compiled with lucid. The popup menu
> can be navigated with the mouse, but not using arrow keys.
>
> This seems to have happened with emacs-28. It does not occur with
> emacs-27, where arrow keys can be used.

That's interesting, I see the opposite: it works in Emacs 28, but not
27.

0. emacs-27 -Q
1. M-0 M-x menu-bar-mode RET
2. <f10> <down> <down>

Nothing happens:

[-- Attachment #2: Emacs 27 Lucid popup menu --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 32534 bytes --]

3. emacs -Q
4. Repeat steps 1--2

Menu is navigable:

[-- Attachment #4: Emacs 28 Lucid popup menu --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 58488 bytes --]

Where my emacs-27 and emacs versions are listed below my signature,
respectively.

--
Basil

In GNU Emacs 27.1.91 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-03-05 built on tia
Repository revision: c881e990e3a083d7c8b990a2004a3ae82b886b9d
Repository branch: emacs-27
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Menu-Bar mode disabled
Quit
Menu Bar mode disabled.  Use M-x menu-bar-mode to make the menu bar appear.

Configured using:
 'configure 'CC=ccache gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 -ggdb -gdwarf-4'
 --config-cache --prefix=/home/blc/.local --program-suffix=-27
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-file-notification=yes --with-x
 --with-cairo'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT
LIBOTF ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-03-07 built on tia
Repository revision: 564b6391f809b3fe0807825b219f2534f2196630
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Configured using:
 'configure 'CC=ccache gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native' --config-cache
 --prefix=/home/blc/.local --enable-checking=structs
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-file-notification=yes --with-x'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11
XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

[...]

rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env

@ 2021-03-07 13:33   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-03-07 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basil L. Contovounesios; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello Basil,

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> 1. Compile emacs-28 with gtk3 via ./configure <RET> 2. emacs -Q
    >> <RET> 3. Evaluate (menu-bar-mode -1) in scratch.  4. Menu-bar is
    >> removed.  5. <F10> brings popup menu-bar.  6. Navigate popup menu
    >> with the mouse or arrow keys.
    >>
    >> Now repeat above steps for emacs-28 compiled with lucid. The
    >> popup menu can be navigated with the mouse, but not using arrow
    >> keys.
    >>
    >> This seems to have happened with emacs-28. It does not occur with
    >> emacs-27, where arrow keys can be used.

    > That's interesting, I see the opposite: it works in Emacs 28, but
    > not 27.

    > 0. emacs-27 -Q 1. M-0 M-x menu-bar-mode RET 2. <f10> <down> <down>

    > Nothing happens:

    > 3. emacs -Q 4. Repeat steps 1--2

    > Menu is navigable:

OK, I will double check what I get.

Best wishes,

* Re: popup menu-bar in lucid
@ 2021-03-07 14:32     ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-03-07 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basil L. Contovounesios; +Cc: emacs-devel

I've doubled checked. For me, the popup menu for lucid configured
emacs-28 is navigable only from the mouse and not the arrow keys whereas a
lucid configured emacs-27.1 has a popup menu navigable from the mouse
and keys. I have nothing in my ~/.Xdefaults relating to emacs.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.

* Re: popup menu-bar in lucid
@ 2021-03-07 15:12       ` Basil L. Contovounesios
From: Basil L. Contovounesios @ 2021-03-07 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-devel

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> I've doubled checked. For me, the popup menu for lucid configured
> emacs-28 is navigable only from the mouse and not the arrow keys whereas a
> lucid configured emacs-27.1 has a popup menu navigable from the mouse
> and keys.

Perhaps reporting this to bug-gnu-emacs using M-x report-emacs-bug,
which includes important information about how your Emacsen are
configured, will provide more insights into what is going on.

>  I have nothing in my ~/.Xdefaults relating to emacs.

The -Q option should ignore those regardless.

Basil

* Re: popup menu-bar in lucid
@ 2021-03-07 16:27       ` Omar Polo
From: Omar Polo @ 2021-03-07 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: Basil L. Contovounesios, emacs-devel

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> I've doubled checked. For me, the popup menu for lucid configured
> emacs-28 is navigable only from the mouse and not the arrow keys whereas a
> lucid configured emacs-27.1 has a popup menu navigable from the mouse
> and keys. I have nothing in my ~/.Xdefaults relating to emacs.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Colin Baxter.

I don't know if you've reported the bug yet, but I can confirm that a
commit in the last 4 days triggered this.  I'm running an emacs 28 from
3-4 days ago and it's working fine, with the lastest built from today's
master the arrow navigation in the menu is not working.

I don't have the time to bisect and/or inspect the commits in that range
right now, but I hope this helps a bit at least :)

* Re: popup menu-bar in lucid
@ 2021-03-07 16:59         ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-03-07 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basil L. Contovounesios; +Cc: emacs-devel

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> I've doubled checked. For me, the popup menu for lucid configured
    >> emacs-28 is navigable only from the mouse and not the arrow keys
    >> whereas a lucid configured emacs-27.1 has a popup menu navigable
    >> from the mouse and keys.

    > Perhaps reporting this to bug-gnu-emacs using M-x
    > report-emacs-bug, which includes important information about how
    > your Emacsen are configured, will provide more insights into what
    > is going on.

Ok done.

* Re: popup menu-bar in lucid
@ 2021-03-07 17:00         ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-03-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Polo; +Cc: Basil L. Contovounesios, , emacs-devel

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

    >> I've doubled checked. For me, the popup menu for lucid configured
    >> emacs-28 is navigable only from the mouse and not the arrow keys
    >> whereas a lucid configured emacs-27.1 has a popup menu navigable
    >> from the mouse and keys. I have nothing in my ~/.Xdefaults
    >> relating to emacs.
    >>
    >> Best wishes,
    >>
    >> Colin Baxter.

    > I don't know if you've reported the bug yet, but I can confirm
    > that a commit in the last 4 days triggered this.  I'm running an
    > emacs 28 from 3-4 days ago and it's working fine, with the lastest
    > built from today's master the arrow navigation in the menu is not
    > working.

Thanks Omar. I've now submitted a bug report.

Best wishes,

* Re: popup menu-bar in lucid
@ 2021-03-07 18:59 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-03-07 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-devel

* Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> [2021-03-07 13:25]:
> Hello,
>
> 1. Compile emacs-28 with gtk3 via ./configure <RET>
> 2. emacs -Q  <RET>
> 3. Evaluate (menu-bar-mode -1) in scratch.
> 4. Menu-bar is removed.
> 5. <F10> brings popup menu-bar.
> 6. Navigate popup menu with the mouse or arrow keys.
>
> Now repeat above steps for emacs-28 compiled with lucid. The popup menu
> can be navigated with the mouse, but not using arrow keys.
>
> This seems to have happened with emacs-28. It does not occur with
> emacs-27, where arrow keys can be used.

I have Emacs built today, and I cannot see any problem to navigate
using arrow keys while using Lucid, which I use all the time.

Version:

"GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 8, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-03-07"

* Re: popup menu-bar in lucid
@ 2021-03-08  7:30   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-03-08  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    > * Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> [2021-03-07 13:25]:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> 1. Compile emacs-28 with gtk3 via ./configure <RET> 2. emacs -Q
    >> <RET> 3. Evaluate (menu-bar-mode -1) in scratch.  4. Menu-bar is
    >> removed.  5. <F10> brings popup menu-bar.  6. Navigate popup menu
    >> with the mouse or arrow keys.
    >>
    >> Now repeat above steps for emacs-28 compiled with lucid. The
    >> popup menu can be navigated with the mouse, but not using arrow
    >> keys.
    >>
    >> This seems to have happened with emacs-28. It does not occur with
    >> emacs-27, where arrow keys can be used.

    > I have Emacs built today, and I cannot see any problem to navigate
    > using arrow keys while using Lucid, which I use all the time.

Odd, especially If your emacs-28 is a recent pull. However, others have
reported a similar problem - see the thread.

Best wishes,