Lars Ingebrigtsen writes: > I've now switched master over to defaulting to proportional fonts in the > mode line. Customise the `mode-line' face to get the old look back. > > I've made the most obvious things that change size -- the U:-- thing, > the top/bot, and the line/col thing -- use the `min-width' spec, so > things should jump around (for those that care about that). > > There's probably more things that should be handled that way, but we'll > take that as we go along. > > This is just a test: If everybody hates this default, we won't proceed, > but we won't know unless we test it. So we're now testing this on the > trunk for a month. Vote in a month. I tried this for the first time today, and I'm seeing a large space after the between the character-set colon identifiers and the buffer modification indicators. I include before/after images. Before: