From: Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: query-replace highlighting
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:34:32 +0200	[thread overview]

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> This seems like a good feature.  However, it is inconsistent
> to control it by giving query-replace-highlight a third possible value.

I retained the value t for users who wish to use old highlighting
method with from-string highlighted in `region' face.

However, to make this possible, a new `query-replace' face inheriting
from `isearch' face should be added.  Everyone who wishes to restore
old highlighting method, can change `query-replace' face to inherit
from `region' face, and set `query-replace-lazy-highlight' option to nil.

> For the case of isearch, we did not give search-highlight a third
> possible value.  We made a new option, isearch-lazy-highlight.
> So we should make a new option, query-replace-lazy-highlight.
> Could you please do that?

OK.  A new option query-replace-lazy-highlight, and then a new face
query-replace inheriting from isearch face.

But what about isearch-lazy-highlight-face?  To create a duplicate
query-replace-lazy-highlight-face, or to rename
isearch-lazy-highlight-face to lazy-highlight-face?

> With this new feature, most of the options in the group
> isearch-lazy-highlight are no longer specific to isearch.  It would be
> better to call the custom group lazy-highlight-matches, and rename all
> the options accordingly, making the old names aliases and marking them
> obsolete.

As I see it the question is about four options:

isearch-lazy-highlight-cleanup
isearch-lazy-highlight-initial-delay
isearch-lazy-highlight-interval
isearch-lazy-highlight-max-at-a-time

I am not sure if renaming them is the good thing.  Creating additional
`lazy-highlight-' name subspace while internal functions still have
`isearch-lazy-highlight-' prefix is a potential source of confusion.
And there is an interactive command `isearch-lazy-highlight-cleanup'
which needs to be renamed.  And there are possible other inconsistencies.

What is the benefit of renaming these options if all internal
functions and variables retain the old names?  If it is only
for users of Customize to help them to find these options via the
Customize UI, then a much simpler change is just to add the parent
group `matching' to the `isearch-lazy-highlight' group.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/