* AW: New undo element (fun . args)
@ 2005-02-07 12:32 klaus.berndl
From: klaus.berndl @ 2005-02-07 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

>A _lot_ of people are annoyed at the way `undo' also redos things.
>For that reason, a package redo.el exists, and people get told about
>it frequently on Emacs lists and groups.

>I consider it likely that with the new changes, this package will no
>longer work.  I also have detected the variable undo-no-redo (not
>customizable, though) which wouls appear from its name and description
>to solve one half of the problem, the remaining half being that an
>actual redo command working in the opposite direction would be
>required.

>Even if we don't find an actual keybinding for that (one could see
>what redo.el uses), using undo with a negative argument could be used
>instead.

>Since we are likely to break redo.el, wouldn't it be sensible to
>provide the functionality from within Emacs once and for all?  It does
>not seem like much would be missing for implementing this, and one
>could even make do without an extra keybinding by using negative
>prefixes to undo.

>From a users point of view: This undo-circle of current Emacs is one
of the most annoying stuff of Emacs - all users of Emacs i know
agree with me concerning this undo-behavior and the lack of a redo.
Therefore for us the redo.el package is very important so either
redo.el should work after this internal undo-changes or - and much
better and as David already said: "It *would* be sensible to
provide the functionality from within Emacs once and for all" - at least
IMHO....

Ciao,
Klaus

* Re: AW: New undo element (fun . args)
@ 2005-02-07 14:20 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-02-07 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, rms, storm

> From a users point of view: This undo-circle of current Emacs is one
> of the most annoying stuff of Emacs - all users of Emacs i know
> agree with me concerning this undo-behavior and the lack of a redo.

Hmm... all the users I know sooner or later asked me about some unexpected
behavior from `undo' and after I explained to them how it works, they all
learned to like it.

Even tho I did mention redo.el as an alternative, none of them ever switched
to using redo.el, instead they started to complain about other programs not
having a real undo like Emacs's.