* multiline font-lock questions
@ 2006-11-17 17:57 David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2006-11-17 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I posted some questions about how to get multiline font-lock working
in gmane.emacs.help because I wasn't sure that they would be deemed
appropriate here.  If they belong here instead, please let me know.

Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting
www.boost-consulting.com

* Re: multiline font-lock questions
@ 2006-11-18  9:12 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-18  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I posted some questions about how to get multiline font-lock working
    in gmane.emacs.help because I wasn't sure that they would be deemed
    appropriate here.  If they belong here instead, please let me know.

Can you try to adapt them for use in the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual?

* Re: multiline font-lock questions
@ 2006-11-18 18:27   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2006-11-18 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     I posted some questions about how to get multiline font-lock working
>     in gmane.emacs.help because I wasn't sure that they would be deemed
>     appropriate here.  If they belong here instead, please let me know.
>
> Can you try to adapt them for use in the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual?

For the most part, I doubt it; they're questions, not answers.  There
were a couple of suggestions about clarifications that could be made
to the manual, but someone who knows which of the possible ambiguous
meanings is correct needs to do that :).

There is one thing I can say: the manual says that "^" only works at
the beginning of a regexp and after "\\(" and "\\|", but it also works
after "\\(?:".  The same goes for "$".

--

@ 2006-11-19  7:59     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-19  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > Can you try to adapt them for use in the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual?

    For the most part, I doubt it; they're questions, not answers.

They are suggestions for ways to improve that section.
To carry them out will take work by a person who understands
the font lock customization data structures.

I hope that someone will do this, sooner or later, in order to make
the manual clearer.

* Re: multiline font-lock questions
@ 2006-11-21 20:09       ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2006-11-21 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     > Can you try to adapt them for use in the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual?
>
>     For the most part, I doubt it; they're questions, not answers.
>
> They are suggestions for ways to improve that section.
> To carry them out will take work by a person who understands
> the font lock customization data structures.
>
> I hope that someone will do this, sooner or later, in order to make
> the manual clearer.

Me too.  Unfortunately I'm not qualified, because font lock is still
mostly a mystery to me.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting