* Tutorial: clickable manual references
@ 2008-03-09 16:27 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-09 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

wouldn't it be useful to make references to the Emacs manual be
"clickable" links?

I.e. clicking on "Completion" should open (info "(emacs)Completion").

,----[ TUTORIAL ]
| Completion is described in Info in the Emacs manual in the node
| called "Completion".
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Tutorial: clickable manual references
@ 2008-03-10  1:34 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-03-10  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> wouldn't it be useful to make references to the Emacs manual be
> "clickable" links?

I'm afraid such links in the Tutorial will distract the reader
that should concentrate on the Tutorial and not to switch to
reading the Emacs manual.

> I.e. clicking on "Completion" should open (info "(emacs)Completion").
>
> ,----[ TUTORIAL ]
> | Completion is described in Info in the Emacs manual in the node
> | called "Completion".
> `----

Since this link is at the end of the Tutorial it would do no harm.
But maybe we could just teach the user how to read the Emacs manual
by adding a chapter about this to the end of the Tutorial?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: Tutorial: clickable manual references
@ 2008-03-11 21:16   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-11 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Mar 10 2008, Juri Linkov wrote:

>> wouldn't it be useful to make references to the Emacs manual be
>> "clickable" links?
>
> I'm afraid such links in the Tutorial will distract the reader

Good point.

> that should concentrate on the Tutorial and not to switch to
> reading the Emacs manual.

But when reading it later, there should be such a possibility, I
think.  Maybe we can find a non-intrusive way.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2008-03-11 21:21     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-03-11 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov, emacs-devel

Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10 2008, Juri Linkov wrote:
>
>>> wouldn't it be useful to make references to the Emacs manual be
>>> "clickable" links?
>> I'm afraid such links in the Tutorial will distract the reader
>
> Good point.
>
>> that should concentrate on the Tutorial and not to switch to
>> reading the Emacs manual.
>
> But when reading it later, there should be such a possibility, I
> think.  Maybe we can find a non-intrusive way.

Maybe put the links at the end of the tutorial?

* Re: Tutorial: clickable manual references
@ 2008-03-12 10:42       ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-03-12 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> I'm afraid such links in the Tutorial will distract the reader
>>
>> Good point.
>>
>>> that should concentrate on the Tutorial and not to switch to
>>> reading the Emacs manual.
>>
>> But when reading it later, there should be such a possibility, I
>> think.  Maybe we can find a non-intrusive way.
>
> Maybe put the links at the end of the tutorial?

Good idea.  Such links could in the Footnotes sections with the
primary text referring to it like:

    Completion is described in Info in the Emacs manual in the node
    called "Completion" [1].

    (And at the end of the tutorial)

    Footnotes:

    [1] The node "Completion" in the Emacs manual (info "(emacs) Completion")

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: Tutorial: clickable manual references
@ 2008-03-14  2:24         ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2008-03-14  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:

   Good idea.  Such links could in the Footnotes sections with the
   primary text referring to it like:

       Completion is described in Info in the Emacs manual in the node
       called "Completion" [1].

I would follow the footnote, for continuity, and, be distracted.

* Re: Tutorial: clickable manual references
@ 2008-03-14 13:15           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-14 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:
>
>    Good idea.  Such links could in the Footnotes sections with the
>    primary text referring to it like:
>
>        Completion is described in Info in the Emacs manual in the node
>        called "Completion" [1].
>
> I would follow the footnote, for continuity, and, be distracted.

Agreed.  I think we don't need to add footnotes, just an appendix
with the list of nodes that have been mentionned in the tutorial.

--
Bastien

* Re: Tutorial: clickable manual references
@ 2008-03-14 21:42             ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-03-14 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Sean Sieger, emacs-devel

>>    Good idea.  Such links could in the Footnotes sections with the
>>    primary text referring to it like:
>>
>>        Completion is described in Info in the Emacs manual in the node
>>        called "Completion" [1].
>>
>> I would follow the footnote, for continuity, and, be distracted.
>
> Agreed.  I think we don't need to add footnotes, just an appendix
> with the list of nodes that have been mentionned in the tutorial.

Then we should replace "Footnotes" with "References" or "Further reading".

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: Tutorial: clickable manual references
@ 2008-03-15 14:54               ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2008-03-15 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

   Then we should replace "Footnotes" with "References" or "Further reading".

Placing the head `FURTHER READING' at the end of the tutorial, with
solely the URL for the Emacs Wiki beneath it, would be good for several
reasons:

* The Web is a great resource for accurate and erroneous information,
  referring newcomers to the wiki will help reign searches in.

* It appears that the Emacs Wiki is under-read and because under-read,
  less than optimally (?) maintained.

* There exists in the tutorial the head `GETTING MORE HELP' and the
  succinct introduction to the documentation system of Emacs.