* Using `buffer-face-mode' by default in major modes -- how customary?
@ 2012-04-13  5:17 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-13  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Org-mode uses `buffer-face-mode' by default.

Some users are surprised to see the "BufMode" string in their modeline.
Is it customary for major modes to invoke `buffer-face-mode'?  Good or
bad or neutral practice?

 Bastien

* Re: Using `buffer-face-mode' by default in major modes -- how customary?
@ 2012-04-13  7:01 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2012-04-13  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Org-mode uses `buffer-face-mode' by default.
>
> Some users are surprised to see the "BufMode" string in their
> modeline.  Is it customary for major modes to invoke
> `buffer-face-mode'?  Good or bad or neutral practice?

I'd say it's obnoxious.  If the user has specified a face that is good
for displaying default text, major modes should not muck with it.