* Re: master 397e316: Add option `calendar-weekend-days'
       [not found] ` <E1ZLvDv-00028C-QB@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2015-08-03 15:44   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2015-08-03 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Ingo Lohmar

ChangeLog files are auto-generated.
Please do not commit to them directly when you make a change.
Instead, make your commit messages in the ChangeLog style.
See CONTRIBUTE; or almost any recent change, eg
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2015-08/msg00012.html
The next time ChangeLog.2 is updated there will be duplicate entries for
your change, one in the wrong format. Maybe you can remember to remove it.

Please also add a NEWS entry for this. Thanks!

@ 2015-08-03 16:04     ` Ingo Lohmar
From: Ingo Lohmar @ 2015-08-03 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris, emacs-devel

I am very sorry for messing things up, I should have re-checked
CONTRIBUTE before committing.  I will add a NEWS entry and slightly
extend the documentation now, together with a (hopefully) proper commit
message.

IIUC, it's no use to manually change the ChangeLog.2 now, I will try to
stay alert to the auto-generation.

Thanks for your patience.

@ 2015-08-04 15:43       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2015-08-04 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Lohmar; +Cc: emacs-devel

It's no problem, don't worry about it.

Adding a missing commit message to a later commit, like in 4e1bdd44,
where you added a commit log for lisp/calendar/calendar.el, which wasn't
changed at all in that change, isn't the right way to correct things
though. It just causes confusion when reading the git log, and now there
will be three entries for this change in the generated ChangeLog. What
you are supposed to do is (from admin/notes/repo) run 'make
change-history' (or wait till Sunday when that happens automatically),
then edit ChangeLog.2 to correct it and commit it. Feel free to correct
any of the docs if there was something that would have made this stuff
clearer to you. (You're not the first person to edit ChangeLog.2 by hand.)

Wrt doc/emacs/calendar.texi, you're missing a final ".". at the end of
the sentence you added. (I'm not sure this was worth adding, since the
header faces aren't even mentioned in the manual. Not everything needs
to be. Which calendar systems even have something other than two
consecutive weekend days?)

* Re: master 397e316: Add option `calendar-weekend-days'
@ 2015-08-04 16:01         ` Ingo Lohmar
From: Ingo Lohmar @ 2015-08-04 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, Aug 04 2015 11:43 (-0400), Glenn Morris wrote:

> It's no problem, don't worry about it.
>
> Adding a missing commit message to a later commit, like in 4e1bdd44,
> where you added a commit log for lisp/calendar/calendar.el, which wasn't
> changed at all in that change, isn't the right way to correct things
> though. It just causes confusion when reading the git log, and now there
> will be three entries for this change in the generated ChangeLog. What
> you are supposed to do is (from admin/notes/repo) run 'make
> change-history' (or wait till Sunday when that happens automatically),
> then edit ChangeLog.2 to correct it and commit it. Feel free to correct
> any of the docs if there was something that would have made this stuff
> clearer to you. (You're not the first person to edit ChangeLog.2 by hand.)
>
> Wrt doc/emacs/calendar.texi, you're missing a final ".". at the end of
> the sentence you added. (I'm not sure this was worth adding, since the
> header faces aren't even mentioned in the manual. Not everything needs
> to be. Which calendar systems even have something other than two
> consecutive weekend days?)

Alright, thanks again.  I have read up on this and will try to fix the
changelog now.

But first, I am first going to fix the doc (I also was hesitant to
mention it at all, but figured that a single sentence at precisely that
place could be helpful).

As for the rationale: It's not about anything other than two consecutive
days, actually.  But, eg, in Israel, Friday(!) and Saturday are weekend
days.  And in general, weekend days cannot be deduced from the start of
the week: Both the US and Europe have Sat/Sun weekends, but in the US,
the week AFAIK conventionally starts on Sun, while in Europe, it starts
on Mon.