* Where should I send patches
@ 2018-05-31 16:24 John Shahid
From: John Shahid @ 2018-05-31 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Hi all,

I was little confused given that I received no replies on my bug
report[1] , which admittedly was sent last night. What is more confusing
is the fact that I see patches being discussed on this
(emacs-devel@gnu.org) mailing list instead of bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org. Out
of curiosity if I have a patch to submit which list should I use ?

[1] http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31662

* Re: Where should I send patches
@ 2018-05-31 17:27 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-05-31 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Shahid; +Cc: Emacs developers

I am just a minor (may be micro) contributor to Emacs. But still I have few
comments:

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 12:25 PM John Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was little confused given that I received no replies on my bug
> report[1] , which admittedly was sent last night.

"last night"? That's a lot of expectation. Realize that here we are
collaborating with folks all around the world, different time zones. In
general, I wait for 4 days or so before pinging back on that same "bug
report" (quoting that because that report could also be a feature request
or a patch, or anything).

> What is more confusing
> is the fact that I see patches being discussed on this
> (emacs-devel@gnu.org) mailing list instead of bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.

Usually patch discussion comes to emacs-devel if the discussion doesn't
resolve on that bug thread itself, or if more user feedback is needed.

> Out of curiosity if I have a patch to submit which list should I use ?
>
> [1] http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31662

I would use the same bug thread for patch proposals too.
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Where should I send patches
@ 2018-05-31 17:33   ` John Shahid
From: John Shahid @ 2018-05-31 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Emacs developers

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> I am just a minor (may be micro) contributor to Emacs. But still I have few
> comments:
>
> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 12:25 PM John Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I was little confused given that I received no replies on my bug
>> report[1] , which admittedly was sent last night.
>

> "last night"? That's a lot of expectation. Realize that here we are
> collaborating with folks all around the world, different time zones. In
> general, I wait for 4 days or so before pinging back on that same "bug
> report" (quoting that because that report could also be a feature request
> or a patch, or anything).

Fair enough, although I feel the emacs mailing list is pretty
responsive. That said, I was trying to clarify a confusion not solicit
feedback on the bug report.

>> What is more confusing
>> is the fact that I see patches being discussed on this
>> (emacs-devel@gnu.org) mailing list instead of bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.
>

> Usually patch discussion comes to emacs-devel if the discussion doesn't
> resolve on that bug thread itself, or if more user feedback is needed.

In my case I didn't open a bug report first. The bug report is the
combination of bug and fix, hence my question on how to handle this use
case ?

cheers,

-js

* Re: Where should I send patches
@ 2018-05-31 18:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-31 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Shahid; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: John Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 16:24:57 +0000
>
> Out of curiosity if I have a patch to submit which list should I use?

It is best to send to bug-gnu-emacs, because then it gets recorded by
the issue tracker, and it will be harder for us to forget it.

Thanks.