martin rudalics writes: [...] > I would like to see a comprehensible and more complete documentation > of Gnus' windows layouts first. Then we could talk about an > alternative, less operational specification of the layout and how to > support it with the help of Emacs' core functions. I've had a whack at updating the manual, and attached a diff. This is obviously just a first try, and I imagine there will be much that needs to be tweaked. To be honest, several of the examples in the manual didn't work as advertised when I tried them, but I guess that's a separate problem -- this is how it's _supposed_ to work, I think. Two code notes: - As you mentioned, `gnus-use-full-window' should be obsoleted in favor of `gnus-use-full-frame'. - It would be nice if the size spec also accepted the symbol `fit', which would trigger a `fit-window-to-buffer'. Hope this clarifies things...