* Minimal functional Emacs
@ 2021-03-04 22:38 U'll Be King Of The Stars
From: U'll Be King Of The Stars @ 2021-03-04 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello all!

Please skip to "My question..." below the "====" line if you're not
interested in personal or background context.

I have been following this list on and off for more than twenty years.
Text editors interest me very much.

My "rite of passage" projects when I was a much younger and
inexperienced developer was to analyze the source code of different
editors and to write my own text editors.  Of course all roads led me
back to Emacs ;-)

I read the C core and the Elisp layer on top of this many times.
Personally I believe it's a masterpiece of software engineering.  Not
only this, but I learned a lot about how I would write requirements and
specifications for text editors[*].

Sources for this education include the GNU Emacs source code, reading
mailing lists and Usenet groups, Craig Finseth's book, and reading about
other Emacs editors, including their source code where available, e.g.,
Edwin and Hemlock.

My question...

I want to perform an experiment on text editor requirements and
specifications.  The first part would be to create a minimal working
editor based on GNU Emacs.  It would include the C core, the Elisp layer
(implementation of the Elisp manual), and few modes.  It would include
Fundamental mode and not many else, expect for those that support the
core specifications.

Has anybody done this before?

If "yes", please could you provide a link?

If the answer is "unknown", then I guess there is no secret except to
understand the Emacs build process and modify this.  Is this the right
direction?  This is documented well, e.g., in the Elisp manual.

After I've achieved this, I expect that the next stages will become
easier to tease out.  [*]Part of this involves documenting the
requirements and specifications I mentioned above.

Hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!!

Kind regards,

Andrew

* Re: Minimal functional Emacs
@ 2021-03-05  6:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-03-05  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: U'll Be King Of The Stars; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: U'll Be King Of The Stars <ullbeking@andrewnesbit.org>
> Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 22:38:11 +0000
>
> I want to perform an experiment on text editor requirements and
> specifications.  The first part would be to create a minimal working
> editor based on GNU Emacs.  It would include the C core, the Elisp layer
> (implementation of the Elisp manual), and few modes.  It would include
> Fundamental mode and not many else, expect for those that support the
> core specifications.
>
> Has anybody done this before?

I'm not sure about the answer to that, because it sounds like what you
have in "emacs -Q -D" is that "minimal Emacs".  If that isn't so,
please tell why, and we could then take it from there.

* Re: Minimal functional Emacs
@ 2021-03-05 11:47 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2021-03-05 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: U'll Be King Of The Stars; +Cc: emacs-devel

() U'll Be King Of The Stars <ullbeking@andrewnesbit.org>
() Thu, 4 Mar 2021 22:38:11 +0000

   Hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!!

I'm not sure about state of the art Emacs, but IME porting GNU
Emacs 22 to VMS, i found temacs to be "useful enough" as a
"minimal function emacs".  (This was about twenty years ago.)

I suppose it all depends on what you consider minimal.

Between temacs and ‘emacs -Q’ lies loadup.el (and probably some
other stuff, nowadays).  You can probably find hours of fun :-D
shooting .el fish in the loadup.el barrel...

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen -----------------------------------------------
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2021) Software Libero

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* emacs22 migration to VMS (was: Minimal functional Emacs)
@ 2021-03-05 13:46   ` andrés ramírez
From: andrés ramírez @ 2021-03-05 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: emacs-devel, U'll Be King Of The Stars

Hi. Thien.

[...]

    Thien-Thi> I'm not sure about state of the art Emacs, but IME
    Thien-Thi> porting GNU Emacs 22 to VMS

Is there a link or article about this migration. It should have been
fun.

[...]

Best Regards
Andrés Ramírez

* Re: Minimal functional Emacs
@ 2021-03-05 15:24   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-03-05 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: emacs-devel, U'll Be King Of The Stars

> I'm not sure about state of the art Emacs, but IME porting GNU
> Emacs 22 to VMS, i found temacs to be "useful enough" as a
> "minimal function emacs".  (This was about twenty years ago.)

I suspect that this is not the case any more because of how we have
slowly moved some code from C to ELisp.

* Re: emacs22 migration to VMS
@ 2021-03-05 18:21     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2021-03-05 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)