Stefan Monnier writes: > I just updated the noverlay branch to the code in `master` (most of it > was mechanical except for the fact that since the last commit on that > branch we have gotten rid of Lisp_Misc and we moved to pdumper). > > I'm getting ready to install this in `master`, so I'd encourage people > to try this code as much as possible to try and weed out the most > glaring problems before it hits master. The code generally looks good, > but it touches some quite "core" code in the redisplay (with lots of > off-by-one opportunities) and in the memory management (with > opportunities for crashes and memory leaks). > > For those who're not familiar with this branch, it changes the way > overlays are stored in a buffer: instead of keeping them in naïve > singly-linked lists, it keeps them in balanced binary trees, so as to > replace an O(N) complexity with O(log N). This way Emacs should not get > sluggish even with millions of overlays (of course, if a given buffer > position is covered by a million overlays, it'll still be sluggish when > operating around that position). > > > Stefan Stefan, I don't have Emacs commit so I've attached comment improvement patches here. Lemme know if you'd prefer this occur on a bug. These commits are also on https://git.sr.ht/~matta/emacs/log/feature/noverlay