From: Fabio Natali <me@fabionatali.com>
To: James Thomas <jimjoe@gmx.net>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: 'No applicable method' error when calling 'gnus-icalendar-save-part'
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2024 20:11:09 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi James,

Thanks for getting back to me!

On 2024-10-13, 05:41 +0530, James Thomas via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
> Have you tried using gnus-icalendar-sync-event-to-org?
>
> Something like:
>
> (defun notmuch-show-import-icalendar-part ()
>   "Import the iCalendar part at point to Org Agenda."
>   (interactive)
>   (let (gnus-icalendar-reply-status)
>     (notmuch-show-apply-to-current-part-handle
>     #'gnus-icalendar-sync-event-to-org)))

This also gives a 'No applicable method' error:

cl-no-applicable-method: No applicable method:
gnus-icalendar-event:sync-to-org, (#<killed buffer> ("text/calendar")
nil nil (attachment (filename . "file.ics")) nil nil nil), nil

I think the reason is that 'gnus-icalendar-sync-event-to-org' expects an
'event' as input but a 'handle' is instead passed.

'gnus-icalendar-save-part' does expect and does correctly receive a
'handle' but it then fails for the reasons explained in my previous
email. Considering the signature, it'd seem that
'gnus-icalendar-save-part' is the appropriate method?

I'd be tempted to send a patch along the lines of option 2 from my other
email and then see what reviewers think. Unless you've any other idea
around 'gnus-icalendar-sync-event-to-org' or if I've
missed/misinterpreted any of the steps.

Thanks, cheers, Fabio.

--
Fabio Natali