I've noticed lately that VC can behave badly when trying to build one of my Emacs Lisp add-on programs. If a file has been deleted at some point, it will interrupt the build to prompt me about whether to restore it -- this is a show-stopper. Also, even when building Emacs (as of a week ago, at least), VC prints several spurious messages on the console; they are harmless in this case, but nonetheless provide needless clutter. I think that VC should be disabled by default when emacs is passed the -batch option. The attached patch implements this. Is it OK if I install it? VC is supposed to be for working interactively with version control systems, so I can't see any reason not to install the patch.