* doc-view and auto-compression-mode
@ 2007-10-31 21:21 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-31 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

$ echo foo | a2ps | gzip > /tmp/foo.ps.gz
[stdin (plain): 1 page on 1 sheet]
[Total: 1 page on 1 sheet] sent to the standard output
$ emacs -Q /tmp/foo.ps.gz

In Emacs do `C-c C-c' to view the PS file as image.  I get the
following error:

,----
| For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
| uncompressing foo.ps.gz...done
| Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document. [2 times]
| DocView: converter process changed status to exited abnormally with code 1
| .
`----

With an uncompressed file (echo foo | a2ps > /tmp/bar.ps) it works as
expected.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: doc-view and auto-compression-mode
@ 2007-11-01 19:32 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-11-01 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Reiner,

> $ echo foo | a2ps | gzip > /tmp/foo.ps.gz
> [stdin (plain): 1 page on 1 sheet]
> [Total: 1 page on 1 sheet] sent to the standard output
> $ emacs -Q /tmp/foo.ps.gz
>
> In Emacs do `C-c C-c' to view the PS file as image.  I get the
> following error:
>
> ,----
> | For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
> | uncompressing foo.ps.gz...done
> | Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document. [2 times]
> | DocView: converter process changed status to exited abnormally with code 1
> | .
> `----

The problem is that doc-view simply converts `buffer-file-name', not the
buffer contents, so in case of a compressed document it would be better
to save the uncompressed buffer contents to the cache directory and
convert that.  Is there a better way to check if the file associated
with the current buffer is compressed instead of the file name
extension?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: doc-view and auto-compression-mode
@ 2007-11-01 20:23   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-01 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, Nov 01 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> The problem is that doc-view simply converts `buffer-file-name', not the
> buffer contents, so in case of a compressed document it would be better
> to save the uncompressed buffer contents to the cache directory and
> convert that.  Is there a better way to check if the file associated
> with the current buffer is compressed instead of the file name
> extension?

The variable `jka-compr-really-do-compress'?  If so, maybe
`jka-compr-really-do-compress' should be defvaralias-ed to
`auto-compression-SOMETHING'?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2007-11-01 20:54     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-11-01 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Reiner,

>> Is there a better way to check if the file associated with the
>> current buffer is compressed instead of the file name extension?
>
> The variable `jka-compr-really-do-compress'?

Yes, the docs and a quick test seem to confirm that.  I hope I find some
time to implement that feature at the weekend.  If someone else wants to
do it it's fine with me, but please drop me a mail then.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: doc-view and auto-compression-mode
@ 2007-11-05 21:03 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-11-05 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> $ echo foo | a2ps | gzip > /tmp/foo.ps.gz
> [stdin (plain): 1 page on 1 sheet]
> [Total: 1 page on 1 sheet] sent to the standard output
> $ emacs -Q /tmp/foo.ps.gz
>
> In Emacs do `C-c C-c' to view the PS file as image.  I get the
> following error:
>
> ,----
> | For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
> | uncompressing foo.ps.gz...done
> | Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document. [2 times]
> | DocView: converter process changed status to exited abnormally with code 1
> | .
> `----

The patch in <87fxzk4dbd.fsf@baldur.tsdh.de> should fix this.

Bye,