* Fwd: RE: info+.el Lisp error (SOLVED)
@ 2008-03-06 16:37 Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2008-03-06 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: drew.adams

Hello,

I have a suggestion of a "goodie" regarding the Info mode:
currently, hitting `i' does open a page of the manual where our
search term was found, but it does not open it on the line where
the match is found, neither does it highlight it.

From my point of view, such things would render the whole even
much more usable. What do you think of it?

Thank you very much,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Fwd: RE: info+.el Lisp error (SOLVED)
@ 2008-03-06 17:10 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-06 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

Hi Sebastian,

Sébastien Vauban <zthjwsqqafhv@spammotel.com> writes:

> I have a suggestion of a "goodie" regarding the Info mode:
> currently, hitting `i' does open a page of the manual where our
> search term was found, but it does not open it on the line where
> the match is found, neither does it highlight it.

`i' runs Info-index, which doesn't really search an item, but lookup an
index.  And it goes where the index has been found.

In the .texi source, it does look like this:

,----
| @section Summary
| @cindex summary
|
| Org-mode is a mode for keeping notes, maintaining TODO lists, and doing
| project planning with a fast and effective plain-text system.
`----

M-x Info-index RET summary will jump to the "Summary" section, where the
index has been set.

Maybe we could have `Info-index-and-find-first-match', but that's
another story, and it's not the expected behavior for `i'.

--
Bastien

* Re: Fwd: RE: info+.el Lisp error (SOLVED)
@ 2008-03-08 17:40   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-03-08 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: zthjwsqqafhv, drew.adams, emacs-devel

    M-x Info-index RET summary will jump to the "Summary" section, where the
    index has been set.

I see no harm in having it do something to show you the first occurrence
of the string that was in the index.

To move point to the first occurrence is an incompatible change,
but not a very harmful one.  It might be an improvement.
It shouldn't be out of the question.

* Re: Fwd: RE: info+.el Lisp error (SOLVED)
@ 2008-03-08 22:29     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-03-08 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Bastien, zthjwsqqafhv, drew.adams, emacs-devel

>     M-x Info-index RET summary will jump to the "Summary" section, where the
>     index has been set.
>
> I see no harm in having it do something to show you the first occurrence
> of the string that was in the index.

Index entries don't necessary contain a string from the node it refers to.
For instance, org.texi defines an index item `@cindex summary', but there is
no such word in the node, so there is nothing to show.

> To move point to the first occurrence is an incompatible change,
> but not a very harmful one.  It might be an improvement.
> It shouldn't be out of the question.

The Emacs Info reader already supports line numbers for index items
produced by makeinfo, so it can navigate to the exact position
intended by the author of the manual that defines it using index
TeXinfo commands.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/