* [feature request] A lock function.
@ 2008-11-22 11:12 anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-11-22 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I do much of my stuffs in emacs, sometimes I don't want some one touches
it when I'm away, but I find emacs doesn't have a function that can lock
itself after a particular time, can someone implement one?

Thank you.

* Re: [feature request] A lock function.
@ 2008-11-22 12:22 ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-11-22 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> writes:

> You can always use emacs in daemon mode and close the frame or
> terminal once you are done with your work. Open a new frame or
> terminal with the running emacs daemon when you need it again. I use
> this approach and works well for me. If you still need a lock, you

I use emacs on windows, so daemon mode isn't available.

> have a screen lock on your system which can protect not only emacs but
> all other applications. If you still want to do something like a

But I want some one can still use my computer, just not touch my emacs.

> screensaver, try looking into 'zone' command which is like a
> screensaver in emacs.

zone misses the feature I need from a locking, locking needs passwd to
unlock, but zone can't.

@ 2008-11-23  3:54   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-11-23  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: emacs-devel

> But I want some one can still use my computer, just not touch my emacs.

That's what user accounts are for.  Even Windows has those things
nowadays, IIUC.  And if yours doesn't, it's a great opportunity to
upgrade to the Free world.

* Re: [feature request] A lock function.
@ 2008-11-23  6:02     ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-11-23  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> But I want some one can still use my computer, just not touch my emacs.
>
> That's what user accounts are for.  Even Windows has those things
> nowadays, IIUC.  And if yours doesn't, it's a great opportunity to
> upgrade to the Free world.

Yes, but I don't want to logout, and maybe in some case I have to be
away in a harry and forgot to logout.

Thank you all of you that provides many other ways, but I want one in
emacs, is it hard to implement?

* Re: [feature request] A lock function.
@ 2008-11-23  6:27       ` Gilaras Drakeson
From: Gilaras Drakeson @ 2008-11-23  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> But I want some one can still use my computer, just not touch my emacs.
>>
>> That's what user accounts are for.  Even Windows has those things
>> nowadays, IIUC.  And if yours doesn't, it's a great opportunity to
>> upgrade to the Free world.
>
> Yes, but I don't want to logout, and maybe in some case I have to be
> away in a harry and forgot to logout.
>
> Thank you all of you that provides many other ways, but I want one in
> emacs, is it hard to implement?

That might give you a false sense of security. If you are to leave your
user account non-locked, making your emacs session "locked" might not
keep your data safe from someone who can access your session.

--
Gilaras Drakeson

* Re: [feature request] A lock function.
@ 2008-11-23  8:54         ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-11-23  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Gilaras Drakeson <gilaras@gmail.com> writes:

>>> That's what user accounts are for.  Even Windows has those things
>>> nowadays, IIUC.  And if yours doesn't, it's a great opportunity to
>>> upgrade to the Free world.
>>
>> Yes, but I don't want to logout, and maybe in some case I have to be
>> away in a harry and forgot to logout.
>>
>> Thank you all of you that provides many other ways, but I want one in
>> emacs, is it hard to implement?
>
> That might give you a false sense of security. If you are to leave your
> user account non-locked, making your emacs session "locked" might not
> keep your data safe from someone who can access your session.
I just want that someone not to touch my emacs, yes, it's not
about security...

* Re: [feature request] A lock function.
@ 2008-11-24  0:09           ` Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2008-11-24  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> That might give you a false sense of security. If you are to leave your
>> user account non-locked, making your emacs session "locked" might not
>> keep your data safe from someone who can access your session.
> I just want that someone not to touch my emacs, yes, it's not
> about security...

If you really don't care about making it secure in any real sense, you can
use something entirely trivial like

(defun lock-emacs ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((inhibit-quit t))
    (while (not (equal (read-passwd "Unlock: ") "potrzebie"))
      (setq quit-flag nil)))) ; prevent C-g from looping

Davis

shipping.

* Re: [feature request] A lock function.
@ 2008-11-24  2:30             ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-11-24  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Davis Herring" <herring@lanl.gov> writes:

>>> That might give you a false sense of security. If you are to leave your
>>> user account non-locked, making your emacs session "locked" might not
>>> keep your data safe from someone who can access your session.
>> I just want that someone not to touch my emacs, yes, it's not
>> about security...
>
> If you really don't care about making it secure in any real sense, you can
> use something entirely trivial like
>
> (defun lock-emacs ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((inhibit-quit t))
>     (while (not (equal (read-passwd "Unlock: ") "potrzebie"))
>       (setq quit-flag nil)))) ; prevent C-g from looping
>
> Davis
That's great, now I can set it to run after a particular idle time!

@ 2008-11-24  3:00       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-11-24  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> But I want some one can still use my computer, just not touch my emacs.
>> That's what user accounts are for.  Even Windows has those things
>> nowadays, IIUC.  And if yours doesn't, it's a great opportunity to
>> upgrade to the Free world.
> Yes, but I don't want to logout, and maybe in some case I have to be
> away in a harry and forgot to logout.

At least under GNU/Linux, this is not a problem, you can have several
accounts logged in at the same time.

> Thank you all of you that provides many other ways, but I want one in
> emacs, is it hard to implement?

Maybe another (more generally useful) question is "how can I save
Emacs's state to a file so I can return to it later".  I.e. an extension
of desktop.el to include yet more state.

* Re: [feature request] A lock function.
@ 2008-11-24  4:43               ` mail
From: mail @ 2008-11-24  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

anhnmncb <anhnmncb@sina.com> writes:

> "Davis Herring" <herring@lanl.gov> writes:
>> (defun lock-emacs ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (let ((inhibit-quit t))
>>     (while (not (equal (read-passwd "Unlock: ") "potrzebie"))
>>       (setq quit-flag nil)))) ; prevent C-g from looping
>>
>> Davis
> That's great, now I can set it to run after a particular idle time!
>
> Thank you :)

I think run-at-time is what you're after, its signature is

    (run-at-time time repeat function &rest args)

Take a look at the documentation for it.

* Re: [feature request] A lock function.
@ 2008-11-24 20:27         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-11-24 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: anhnmncb, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:00:34 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> >> That's what user accounts are for.  Even Windows has those things
> >> nowadays, IIUC.  And if yours doesn't, it's a great opportunity to
> >> upgrade to the Free world.
> > Yes, but I don't want to logout, and maybe in some case I have to be
> > away in a harry and forgot to logout.
>
> At least under GNU/Linux, this is not a problem, you can have several
> accounts logged in at the same time.

Same on Windows, at least since XP.