* colours in diff-mode
@ 2009-02-17 16:05 Christian Faulhammer
From: Christian Faulhammer @ 2009-02-17 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

in my eyes the diff-mode is really bad-looking in an X frame due to the
lack of colours.  Interestingly enough, a terminal frame shows some
more of them.  Is this intended?  And can this be changed?

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: colours in diff-mode
@ 2009-02-17 19:52 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-02-17 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Christian Faulhammer <fauli@gentoo.org> writes:
> in my eyes the diff-mode is really bad-looking in an X frame due to the
> lack of colours.  Interestingly enough, a terminal frame shows some
> more of them.  Is this intended?

Yes (the lack of colors, obviously not that it be "bad looking" :)

> And can this be changed?

You can change the diff faces in your personal emacs:

   M-x customize-group RET diff-mode RET

-Miles

--
You can hack anything you want, with TECO and DDT.

* Re: colours in diff-mode
@ 2009-02-18  1:50 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-02-18  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Faulhammer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> in my eyes the diff-mode is really bad-looking in an X frame due to the
> lack of colours.  Interestingly enough, a terminal frame shows some
> more of them.  Is this intended?

It reflects my taste.  As you can see, I like my hilighting to be rather
subdued, using nuances of grey (which I typically accompany with changes
of fonts, like italics, bold, ...) rather than the customary
angry-fruit-salad.

Other people chose the faces used on a tty, which is why it's so
different there.

* Re: colours in diff-mode
@ 2009-02-18  3:02   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-02-18  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel, Christian Faulhammer

> It reflects my taste.  As you can see, I like my hilighting to be
> rather subdued, using nuances of grey (which I typically accompany
> with changes of fonts, like italics, bold, ...) rather than the
> customary angry-fruit-salad.
>
> Other people chose the faces used on a tty, which is why it's so
> different there.

The difference isn't entirely due to taste, I think -- it's much harder
to do "subtle" on an 8-color tty, and IIRC, the non-fruit-salad schemes
suggested for use on ttys were ... not very nice (whereas the X scheme
is pretty good).

-Miles

--
Year, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments.