* cc-engine.el needs a coding: tag
@ 2010-03-01 14:41 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2010-03-01 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-cc-mode; +Cc: emacs-devel

cc-engine.el uses some non-ASCII characters ("non-break space", in the
first comment in `c-looking-at-special-brace-list'), so it should really
have a -*- coding: -*- tag of some sort.

Thanks,

-Miles

--
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I

* Re: cc-engine.el needs a coding: tag
@ 2010-03-03 19:33 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2010-03-03 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

> cc-engine.el uses some non-ASCII characters ("non-break space", in the
> first comment in `c-looking-at-special-brace-list'), so it should really
> have a -*- coding: -*- tag of some sort.

find . -type f -name \*.el -print0
    | xargs -0 -e grep -lZ "[^[:print:][:space:]]"
    | xargs -0 -e grep -L "coding:"
./calc/calc-aent.el
./calendar/cal-french.el
./cedet/semantic/wisent/javat-wy.el
./cedet/semantic/wisent/wisent.el
./dnd.el
./emacs-lisp/elint.el
./emacs-lisp/tcover-ses.el
./erc/erc-services.el
./filesets.el
./font-setting.el
./gnus/html2text.el
./gnus/nnmail.el
./help-fns.el
./htmlfontify.el
./kmacro.el
./minibuffer.el
./net/eudc-bob.el
./net/eudc-export.el
./net/eudc-hotlist.el
./net/eudc-vars.el
./net/eudc.el
./net/eudcb-bbdb.el
./net/eudcb-ldap.el
./net/eudcb-ph.el
./net/tramp-cache.el
./org/org-freemind.el
./org/org-latex.el
./org/org-protocol.el
./pcvs.el
./play/bubbles.el
./progmodes/cc-engine.el
./progmodes/cc-langs.el
./progmodes/cc-mode.el
./progmodes/hideshow.el
./progmodes/js.el
./term.el
./textmodes/conf-mode.el
./textmodes/texinfmt.el
./uniquify.el
./woman.el
./x-dnd.el

This list includes files with ASCII control characters
and non-ASCII characters.  Literal control characters
could be replaced with their equivalent "\^" syntax,
and non-ASCII characters require a -*- coding: -*- tag
whose value sometimes is not easy to guess, but usually
it is Latin-1.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: cc-engine.el needs a coding: tag
@ 2010-03-04 12:58   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-03-04 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel, Miles Bader

Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:

> and non-ASCII characters require a -*- coding: -*- tag
> whose value sometimes is not easy to guess, but usually
> it is Latin-1.

They should perhaps be converted to utf-8.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: cc-engine.el needs a coding: tag
@ 2010-03-04 18:34     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-03-04 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Juri Linkov, Miles Bader, emacs-devel

>> and non-ASCII characters require a -*- coding: -*- tag
>> whose value sometimes is not easy to guess, but usually
>> it is Latin-1.

> They should perhaps be converted to utf-8.

Yes, it would be good to do that, although it's definitely not for 23.2
and is not urgent,

* Re: cc-engine.el needs a coding: tag
@ 2010-03-06 20:51 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2010-03-06 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-devel

Hi, Miles!

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 11:41:55PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> cc-engine.el uses some non-ASCII characters ("non-break space", in the
> first comment in `c-looking-at-special-brace-list'), so it should really
> have a -*- coding: -*- tag of some sort.

Or, perhaps better, replace those non-break spaces with fragile ones, and
then be careful that they don't, in fact, break.

As a matter of interest, how did you stumble upon this anomaly?

> Thanks,

> -Miles

-- Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Download Intel&#174; Parallel Studio Eval
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

* Re: cc-engine.el needs a coding: tag
@ 2010-03-07 13:53   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2010-03-07 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-devel

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:
> Or, perhaps better, replace those non-break spaces with fragile ones, and
> then be careful that they don't, in fact, break.
>
> As a matter of interest, how did you stumble upon this anomaly?

I had some local changes to cc-engine.el (basically just reverting some
of the recent changes that break indenting).  When updating, I got a
merge conflict, and used emacs to fix things -- and when saving the
file, emacs complained about non-encodable characters in the file
(because the file has no obvious coding system, the non-break-spaces got
read as binary characters).

-Miles

--
Education, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish
their lack of understanding.