* "Bzr for Emacs Devs" including upstream branches
@ 2010-04-12 17:01 Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2010-04-12 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any equivalent to the excellent documents at:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs

that talks a little bit about dealing with UPSTREAM branches?  A few words about the ins and outs of maintaining multiple branches locally, strategies for bandwidth minimization (if needed), copying / merging from one to the other, etc. would be good, but especially I'm looking for the equivalent of "svn ls" that lets you look at what branches are published at a site.

After some hunting around I tried:

bzr branches sftp://arobert@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/

but this just started downloading something at 1K / second and never got anywhere.  The launchpad loggerhead mirror just seems to show the trunk.

thanks,
Adrian

* Re: "Bzr for Emacs Devs" including upstream branches
@ 2010-04-12 17:16 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-04-12 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Adrian Robert <adrian.b.robert@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there is any equivalent to the excellent documents at:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs
>
> that talks a little bit about dealing with UPSTREAM branches?

In the first page, there is this:

   If you work on other branches besides trunk, just cd into your shared
   repository and

     bzr checkout URL_TO_UPSTREAM_branch_name your_branch_name

So, to get the emacs-23 branch you would do

     bzr checkout sftp://LOGINNAME@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-23 emacs-23

from the bzr repository directory.

* Re: "Bzr for Emacs Devs" including upstream branches
@ 2010-04-12 17:50 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-04-12 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Adrian Robert <adrian.b.robert@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:01:28 +0300
>
> After some hunting around I tried:
>
> bzr branches sftp://arobert@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/
>
> but this just started downloading something at 1K / second and never
> got anywhere.

Just be patient.  It takes a lot of time with a remote repository, but
eventually you will get a list.  And since new branches aren't added
too frequently, this is a rarely used command, so its slowness is not
too much of an annoyance.

* Re: "Bzr for Emacs Devs" including upstream branches
@ 2010-04-12 17:58   ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2010-04-12 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

>> that talks a little bit about dealing with UPSTREAM branches?
>
> In the first page, there is this:
>
>   If you work on other branches besides trunk, just cd into your shared
>   repository and
>
>     bzr checkout URL_TO_UPSTREAM_branch_name your_branch_name
>
> So, to get the emacs-23 branch you would do
>
>     bzr checkout sftp://LOGINNAME@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-23 emacs-23

Thanks, yeah, but is there any way to find out the "emacs-23 emacs-23" part (or whichever other branch of interest) besides looking on mailing lists / whatever?  In subversion you can use 'svn ls' to "explore" what's up on the repository before checking anything out.

@ 2010-04-12 18:20     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-04-12 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Emacs-Devel devel

Adrian Robert wrote:

> Thanks, yeah, but is there any way to find out the "emacs-23
> emacs-23" part (or whichever other branch of interest) besides
> looking on mailing lists / whatever? In subversion you can use 'svn
> ls' to "explore" what's up on the repository before checking
> anything out.

See previous discussion:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-01/msg01099.html

   You can just visit http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/ with a web
   browser to see what branches there are.

* Re: "Bzr for Emacs Devs" including upstream branches
@ 2010-04-12 18:28   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-04-12 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> After some hunting around I tried:
>>
>> bzr branches sftp://arobert@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/
>>
>> but this just started downloading something at 1K / second and never
>> got anywhere.
>
> Just be patient.  It takes a lot of time with a remote repository, but
> eventually you will get a list.

Last time I tried, long time ago, it required more than 5 minutes over
http. IIRC it does a lot of round trips so the nearer you are from the
server (on Internet distance) the faster it will work.

> And since new branches aren't added too frequently, this is a rarely
> used command, so its slowness is not too much of an annoyance.

Precisely, one of the reasons for using `bzr branches' is to check the
presence of new branches :-)

`bzr branches' is just a hack implemented on a plugin as a "best effort"
and it is quite expensive due to the limitations of using bzrlib (which
was not designed with that use on mind) over a dumb remote file access
protocol (sftp or, worse, http). It does not work with the smart server,
IIRC.

* Re: "Bzr for Emacs Devs" including upstream branches
@ 2010-04-12 19:01       ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2010-04-12 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Emacs-Devel devel

On Apr 12, 2010, at 9:20 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-01/msg01099.html
>
>   You can just visit http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/ with a web
>   browser to see what branches there are.

Thanks, I've added this link to the wiki pages.

-Adrian