* Re: emacs-25 eaa0058: Improve documentation of 'gnutls-verify-error'
       [not found] ` <20170509190630.CFCC021038@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2017-05-10  7:26   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2017-05-10  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

eliz@gnu.org (Eli Zaretskii) writes:

>  (defcustom gnutls-verify-error nil
> -  "If non-nil, this should be a list of checks per hostname regex or t."
> +  "If non-nil, this should be t or a list of checks per hostname regex.
> +If nil, the default, failures in certificate verification will be
> +logged (subject to `gnutls-log-level'), but the connection will be
> +allowed to proceed.
> +If the value is a list, it should have the form
> +
> +   ((HOST-REGEX FLAGS...) (HOST-REGEX FLAGS...) ...)
> +
> +where each HOST-REGEX is a regular expression to be matched
> +against the hostname, and FLAGS is either t or a list of
> +one or more verification flags.  The supported flags and the
> +corresponding conditions to be tested are:
> +
> +  :trustfiles -- certificate must be issued by a trusted authority.
> +  :hostname   -- hostname must match presented certificate's host name.
> +  t           -- all of the above conditions are tested.
> +
> +If the condition test fails, an error will be signaled.
> +
> +If the value of this variable is t, every connection will be subjected
> +to all of the tests described above."
>    :group 'gnutls
>    :version "24.4"
>    :type '(choice

Wouldn't this be a candidate for connection-local variables?

Ted?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: emacs-25 eaa0058: Improve documentation of 'gnutls-verify-error'
@ 2017-05-15 19:54     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2017-05-15 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 10 May 2017 09:26:09 +0200 Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

MA> eliz@gnu.org (Eli Zaretskii) writes:
>> (defcustom gnutls-verify-error nil
>> -  "If non-nil, this should be a list of checks per hostname regex or t."
>> +  "If non-nil, this should be t or a list of checks per hostname regex.

MA> Wouldn't this be a candidate for connection-local variables?

MA> Ted?

Yes!

It's on my TODO list, I promise. I want to finish the GnuTLS work first.

I am sure that doing settings ad-hoc in each gnutls-* variable is the
wrong way long-term and the connection-local profiles are the right way,
so the necessary work now is to rewrite the gnutls-* settings but keep
backwards compatibility.

If anyone is interested, go for it... otherwise, I'll work on it when I
have a chance. Thanks!

Ted