Stefan Monnier writes: > [[PGP Encrypted Part:OK]] >>>>> @git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs/elpa.git ? >>>> So no, it is not this, >>> Yes it it, but this only specifies the repository, not the branch. >> Hmm, I understand nothing how the elpa is structured, too complicated for me. > > When you push a branch you need to tell to which branch in the remote > repository you're pushing. The syntax is: > > git push : > > so if you're pushing from your local `elpa` branch to elpa.git's > `externals/async` branch, then you need to do: > > git push elpa elpa:externals/async > > I suspect the problem is that you used a shorthand which works well when > the remote branch has the same name as a the local branch but can't be > used here. I will rename it to something else. > I'm not sure how much simpler we could make it. E.g. if we used > a separate repository per package, then presumably your `elpa` remote > would point to something like git.sv.gnu.org:emacs/elpa/async.git > and you'd need to push to the `main` branch in that repository, which > would still bring the same problem since the name `main` is still > different from the name `elpa` you used for your local branch. Yes, the name I use -elpa- is bad, but yes a repository per repo would be great, in github organizations allow having one repo per package like in helm organization. >>> In any case, if you push to John's `emacs-async` on Github, I can then >>> bring it into elpa.git with a simple `make sync/async`. >> Done, the branch to merge on elpa is the elpa branch, not master. > > Any chance the two branches can be "unified"? > AFAICT the difference are: > > - The `Package-Requires:` where `master` says ((emacs "24.3")), whereas > `elpa` says ((cl-lib "0.5") (nadvice "0.3")). Not sure why they need > to be different: we can "merge" them to ((emacs "24.3") (nadvice "0.3")), > since cl-lib in included in Emacs-24.3 (OTOH nadvice appeared with > Emacs-24.4, so I think requiring only Emacs-24.3 is not quite sufficient). What about ((emacs "24.4")) we don't care of 24.3, we are at 27.2 now so very far from 24.3. > - The `async-pkg.el` which is absent on `elpa` and present on `master`. > Do we actually need it on `master`? IIRC yes, Melpa needs it. -- Thierry