From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <contovob@tcd.ie>
To: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: battery.el broken?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 23:21:12 +0100	[thread overview]

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Used to display battery percentage and time left; now says
>
> Power on-line, battery discharging (93% load, remaining time 0:00)

The default output format of 'M-x battery' has barely changed across
several Emacs versions (though different battery-status-function
backends call things by different names, e.g. AC vs on-line).

So I'm guessing the "broken" part is the contradiction between on-line
and discharging, and the zero remaining time to full/empty.

If so, please say which Emacs version you're running and what your value
of battery-status-function is.

If you're on Emacs 28 with battery-upower, you can see all the
information returned by the system UPower daemon by evaluating:

  (mapcar #'battery--upower-device-properties
          (battery--upower-devices))

The returned alists will include relevant keys such as Online, State,
TimeToEmpty, and TimeToFull, all of which are documented at
https://upower.freedesktop.org/docs/Device.html.

If the returned alists are internally inconsistent, then it's not Emacs'
fault.

If they look fine but the result of the battery-upower function
disagrees with them, then there's an Emacs bug in the translation,
indeed.

Feel free to post the relevant data here for help with deciphering it.
(Excluding the Vendor, Model, and Serial properties I guess, in case
they're considered sensitive?  I have no idea.)

HTH,

--
Basil