* [Request] Inclusion in emacs group for ELPA contribution
@ 2021-11-06 11:44 Noboru Ota
From: Noboru Ota @ 2021-11-06 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi everyone,

I have been developing an Org add-on package Org-transclusion
(https://github.com/nobiot/org-transclusion).  I would like to
contribute it to the ELPA repository.

I am following the guidance on the "My Group Membership" page of GNU Savannah
(https://savannah.gnu.org/my/groups.php) and would like to request
inclusion to the emacs group.

I signed and returned the FSF copyright assignment form on Friday, 5th
November 2021 (yesterday).

I would appreciate it if someone could advise if my request should be
acceptable.

Thank you.
Noboru

* Re: [Request] Inclusion in emacs group for ELPA contribution
@ 2021-11-07  5:41 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-11-07  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noboru Ota; +Cc: emacs-devel

Noboru Ota [2021-11-06 12:44:17] wrote:
> I have been developing an Org add-on package Org-transclusion
> (https://github.com/nobiot/org-transclusion).  I would like to
> contribute it to the ELPA repository.

Great.
I just took a look at it.
AFAICT you're almost the sole author/contributor.

I see "louixs" contributed some code which seems to be just acceptable
without paperwork, but it might be worth asking him to sign the
paperwork anyway so we can accept any future contribution of his.
Could you do that?

> I signed and returned the FSF copyright assignment form on Friday, 5th
> November 2021 (yesterday).

Excellent, thank you.  It will take a bit more time until the FSF can
confirm reception.

We're trying to reduce the (excessive) number of people who have write
access to Emacs's Git repository (and we like to give it only after we
have gotten to know the contributor and can feel confident that they
will follow our coding conditions), but nowadays elpa.gnu.org is
equipped to fetch updates from remote repositories, so we can add
`org-transclusion` to GNU ELPA and you can keep updating it without
needing to be included in the "emacs" group.

> I would appreciate it if someone could advise if my request should be
> acceptable.

Adding org-transclusion to GNU ELPA looks definitely acceptable.
Let me know when the FSF confirms reception of your paperwork so I'll
add it then.

One thing I did notice along the way.  Every .el files will need to have
a line like:

[ Instead of "Copyright (C) 2020-21 Noboru Ota".  ]
near the beginning.  And I recommend you also add the

    ;; This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it
    ;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
    ;; Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your
    ;; option) any later version.

    ;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    ;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    ;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
    ;; General Public License for more details.

    ;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
    ;; with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

blurb to each `.el` file.
Thanks for your contribution,

* Re: [Request] Inclusion in emacs group for ELPA contribution
@ 2021-11-08  7:05   ` Noboru Ota
From: Noboru Ota @ 2021-11-08  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> I just took a look at it.

Stefan, thank you for taking the time to review and reply. Much appreciated.

> I see "louixs" contributed some code which seems to be just acceptable
> without paperwork, but it might be worth asking him to sign the
> paperwork anyway so we can accept any future contribution of his.
> Could you do that?

No problem.  louixs and I had an agreement regarding FSF copyright
assignment at the time of my accepting his pull request
(https://github.com/nobiot/org-transclusion/pull/82#issuecomment-861225958),
so I see no issues.  As it was a while ago (June this year),I will go
back to him to confirm again and ask him if he could do the paperwork.

> We're trying to reduce the (excessive) number of people who have write
> access to Emacs's Git repository (and we like to give it only after we
> have gotten to know the contributor and can feel confident that they
> will follow our coding conditions), but nowadays elpa.gnu.org is
> equipped to fetch updates from remote repositories, so we can add
> `org-transclusion` to GNU ELPA and you can keep updating it without
> needing to be included in the "emacs" group.

Good to know that this option is available.  I understand this policy and
I will be happy to keep using GitHub as a remote repository for
elpa.gnu.org.

> Adding org-transclusion to GNU ELPA looks definitely acceptable.
> Let me know when the FSF confirms reception of your paperwork so I'll
> add it then.

Thank you.  I will let you know once I have the FSF confirmation.  I
will also add the suggested lines in the .el files in the repository.

Thanks again.

@ 2021-11-23 21:26   ` Noboru Ota
From: Noboru Ota @ 2021-11-23 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

This is regarding inclusion of Org-roam to ELPA.

> I see "louixs" contributed some code which seems to be just acceptable
> without paperwork, but it might be worth asking him to sign the
> paperwork anyway so we can accept any future contribution of his.
> Could you do that?

Yes.  louixs has also signed the paperwork and sent it to the FSF; he is
currently waiting for the FSF to confirm.

> Excellent, thank you.  It will take a bit more time until the FSF can
> confirm reception.

I have received the FSF's confirmation.

> One thing I did notice along the way.  Every .el files will need to have
> a line like:
>
>     Copyright (C) 2021  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> [ Instead of "Copyright (C) 2020-21 Noboru Ota".  ]
> near the beginning.  And I recommend you also add the

I believe I have replaced the program header text as instructed for each
.el file.

Could you please advise the next steps?  I was under the assumption that
I would still need to add some other things to the GitHub repository --
e.g. a make instruction for package.el.  It would be great if you could
point me to the resource how I might do this.

Thank you.
Noboru