* Issue with package-quick-start (+ another issue)
       [not found] <20220514124356.i7g3nb225pce2hrk.ref@Ergus>
@ 2022-05-14 12:43 ` Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2022-05-14 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi:

Recently trying the master branch; emacs fails to start with a message:

```
Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
```

which seems to happen after window-setup-hook.

When I remove package-quickstart.el[c] then it goes back to normal and
everything works fine. I tried --debug-init but I don't get any
information, just the message... Is there a method to get more
information about what's going on??

I don't report this as a bug because it can't be reproduce it with -Q
(as -Q never loads the quick-start) and I can't be sure this is an issue
in my config, external package or emacs issue.

BTW:

There is a behavior difference here a bit annoying:

Using -nw emacs starts and shows the error in the echo area, which is
very bad because with this failure emacs is non functional and I can't
see the *messages* buffer

When NOT using -nw emacs never starts and the errors are shown inline
immediately...

Shouldn't these two behaviors be consistent and behave the same??

Best,
Ergus

* Re: Issue with package-quick-start (+ another issue)
@ 2022-05-16 15:18   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2022-05-16 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Ergus

> * Ergus <fcnpvoon@nby.pbz> [2022-05-14 14:43:56 +0200]:
>
> Recently trying the master branch; emacs fails to start with a message:
>
> ```
> Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
> ```
>
> which seems to happen after window-setup-hook.
>
> When I remove package-quickstart.el[c] then it goes back to normal and
> everything works fine. I tried --debug-init but I don't get any
> information, just the message... Is there a method to get more
> information about what's going on??

yes, since yesterday.
regenerating and recompiling package-quickstart does not help.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com

* Re: Issue with package-quick-start (+ another issue)
@ 2022-05-17  6:05   ` Daniel Semyonov
From: Daniel Semyonov @ 2022-05-17  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus; +Cc: emacs-devel

    > Hi: Recently trying the master branch; emacs fails to start with a
    > message:

    > ``` Wrong type argument: stringp, nil ```

    > which seems to happen after window-setup-hook.

Hi, I encountered the same issue (reported as bug#55447).

A workaround I found was to replace all occurrences of '#$' in
'package-quickstart.el' with 'load-true-file-name', and then recompile
the file manually.

Regards,
Daniel