* more-mode for your pleasure
@ 2008-02-11 15:08 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-02-11 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Since "view-mode" sucks in just about every conceivable way, and is
AFAICT, un-salvageable, here's a more minimalist (but less sucky)
replacement you might enjoy:

;; Should be in subr.el
(defun scroll-up-one-line (&optional lines)
  (interactive "p")
  (scroll-up lines))

(defvar more-map
  (let ((mm (make-sparse-keymap)))
    (suppress-keymap mm)
    (define-key mm " " 'scroll-up)
    (define-key mm "\C-?" 'scroll-down)
    (define-key mm "\C-m" 'scroll-up-one-line)
    (define-key mm "q" 'bury-buffer)
    mm)
  "Keymap for `more-mode'.")

(define-minor-mode more-mode
  "A minor mode for browsing files.  SPC, DEL, and other keys are
bound to scroll the file instead of self-inserting.

\\{more-map}"
  :keymap more-map
  :lighter " More")

-Miles

--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
 you do it."  Mahatma Gandhi

* Re: v for view-mode [was: more-mode for your pleasure]
@ 2008-02-11 20:36 ` Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2008-02-11 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

    Since "view-mode" sucks in just about every conceivable
    way, and is AFAICT, un-salvageable, here's a more
    minimalist (but less sucky) replacement you might enjoy:

As someone who uses view-mode every day and finds it pretty
satisfactory (and your replacement would not, in itself be
so, for my purposes) I am interested to know exactly what it
is that you think sucks about view-mode.

And speaking of which, I like that hitting `v' in dired
opens a file in view-mode.  Possibly even more useful might
be the same behavior in the bookmark list mode (since
presumably people using the bookmark list are often reading
long documents.)

* Re: v for view-mode
@ 2008-02-11 23:00   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-02-11 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evans Winner; +Cc: emacs-devel

Evans Winner <thorne@timbral.net> writes:
>     Since "view-mode" sucks in just about every conceivable
>     way, and is AFAICT, un-salvageable, here's a more
>     minimalist (but less sucky) replacement you might enjoy:
>
> As someone who uses view-mode every day and finds it pretty
> satisfactory (and your replacement would not, in itself be
> so, for my purposes) I am interested to know exactly what it
> is that you think sucks about view-mode.

It's a huge mess of needlessly complicated (and often downright wrong,
e.g., all the bizarre code that does size calculation, which has no
obvious purpose, and yet screws up common usage scenarios) code.
It gets even the most basic functionality wrong; e..g, the reason I
whipped up more-mode is that hitting SPC in view-mode seemed to scroll
by _more_ than one page in a particular buffer!  Why?  Who knows, I
don't care, but even a simple C-v does the right thing.

Because view-mode such a huge mess, it's hard to fix (technically).
Moreover, for better or for worse, people on emacs-devel are very
conservative about changing it, so even the smallest change requires a
vast amount of time arguing on this list.

Since I just want a simple pager that actually works correctly in the
most common case, it's far, far, easier to just write one than expend a
lot of effort on a turd like view-mode.

-Miles

--
Congratulation, n. The civility of envy.

* RE: v for view-mode
@ 2008-02-11 23:20     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-02-11 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Miles Bader', 'Evans Winner'; +Cc: emacs-devel

> >     Since "view-mode" sucks in just about every conceivable
> >     way, and is AFAICT, un-salvageable, here's a more
> >     minimalist (but less sucky) replacement you might enjoy:
> >
> > As someone who uses view-mode every day and finds it pretty
> > satisfactory (and your replacement would not, in itself be
> > so, for my purposes) I am interested to know exactly what it
> > is that you think sucks about view-mode.
>
> It's a huge mess of needlessly complicated (and often downright wrong,
> e.g., all the bizarre code that does size calculation, which has no
> obvious purpose, and yet screws up common usage scenarios) code.
> It gets even the most basic functionality wrong; e..g, the reason I
> whipped up more-mode is that hitting SPC in view-mode seemed to scroll
> by _more_ than one page in a particular buffer!  Why?  Who knows, I
> don't care, but even a simple C-v does the right thing.
>
> Because view-mode such a huge mess, it's hard to fix (technically).
> Moreover, for better or for worse, people on emacs-devel are very
> conservative about changing it, so even the smallest change requires a
> vast amount of time arguing on this list.
>
> Since I just want a simple pager that actually works correctly in the
> most common case, it's far, far, easier to just write one
> than expend a lot of effort on a turd like view-mode.

Agreed wrt view-mode's complexity. And don't forget the hyperbolic (or is it
metabolic?) view-mode quitting code. Bind-moggling.

* Re: v for view-mode
@ 2008-02-12  3:20       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-02-12  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 'Evans Winner', emacs-devel, 'Miles Bader'

> Agreed wrt view-mode's complexity.  And don't forget the hyperbolic
> (or is it metabolic?) view-mode quitting code.  Bind-moggling.

Yup.  I welcome a fresh rewrite where "compatibility" is not taken into
account.  The only goal should be "provide approximately the same set of
features".

* Re: more-mode for your pleasure
@ 2008-02-12 21:35 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-02-12 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Since "view-mode" sucks in just about every conceivable way, and is
> AFAICT, un-salvageable, here's a more minimalist (but less sucky)
> replacement you might enjoy:

I think we need less mode with less complexity than view mode,
more or less like your more mode but with more features.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/