* VC: log of sub-directory?
@ 2009-12-28 22:18 Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2009-12-28 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

VC-dir only shows modified files, so if the user wants to see the log of
an unedited file he must to visit it and then C-x v l

But AFAIK, there is no way of seeing the log of a versioned
sub-directory. I'm not sure how that could be implemented (maybe C-x d
<directory> [INTRO] C-x v l)

If VC-dir were allowed to optionally show unmodified elements (files,
directories) as psvn does (and PCL-CVS IIRC) it could be somewhat
convenient. Seeing the combined log of two or more files is not possible
either. Being able to mark unedited files on the VC-dir buffer could
solve that too.

--
Óscar

* Re: VC: log of sub-directory?
@ 2009-12-29 16:16 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-12-29 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

  > VC-dir only shows modified files, so if the user wants to see the log of

  > an unedited file he must to visit it and then C-x v l
  >
  > But AFAIK, there is no way of seeing the log of a versioned
  > sub-directory. I'm not sure how that could be implemented (maybe C-x d
  > <directory> [INTRO] C-x v l)

???
C-x v d THE_SUBDIRECTORY_YOU_WANT RET
C-x v l
works just fine...

* Re: VC: log of sub-directory?
@ 2009-12-29 17:39   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2009-12-29 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:

>   > VC-dir only shows modified files, so if the user wants to see the log of
>
>   > an unedited file he must to visit it and then C-x v l
>   >
>   > But AFAIK, there is no way of seeing the log of a versioned
>   > sub-directory. I'm not sure how that could be implemented (maybe C-x d
>   > <directory> [INTRO] C-x v l)
>
> ???
> C-x v d THE_SUBDIRECTORY_YOU_WANT RET
> C-x v l
> works just fine...

So the point must be on the upper part of the buffer. Thanks.

What about getting the combined log of two or more files/directories?

--
Óscar

* Re: VC: log of sub-directory?
@ 2009-12-29 18:33     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-12-29 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
  >
  > >   > VC-dir only shows modified files, so if the user wants to see the log of
  > >
  > >   > an unedited file he must to visit it and then C-x v l
  > >   >
  > >   > But AFAIK, there is no way of seeing the log of a versioned
  > >   > sub-directory. I'm not sure how that could be implemented (maybe C-x d
  > >   > <directory> [INTRO] C-x v l)
  > >
  > > ???
  > > C-x v d THE_SUBDIRECTORY_YOU_WANT RET
  > > C-x v l
  > > works just fine...
  >
  > So the point must be on the upper part of the buffer. Thanks.

Technically it should on the "./" entry, but the header is considered
equivalent to "./".

  > What about getting the combined log of two or more files/directories?

If the files/directories are shown in the same vc-dir buffer, select
them and do C-x v l

* Re: VC: log of sub-directory?
@ 2009-12-29 18:45       ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2009-12-29 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:

>   > What about getting the combined log of two or more files/directories?
>
> If the files/directories are shown in the same vc-dir buffer, select
> them and do C-x v l

Yes, that was clear. But if the files/directories are not shown on the
vc-dir buffer (because them are not edited) ?

Restricting the operations you can do from vc-dir to edited files is a
bit... restrictive.

OTOH I realize that that behaviour (showing only edited files) is that
the roots of vc-dir and most likely can not be changed easily.

--
Óscar

* Re: VC: log of sub-directory?
@ 2009-12-29 19:15         ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2009-12-29 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Yes, that was clear. But if the files/directories are not shown on the
> vc-dir buffer (because them are not edited) ?

With the old vc-directory you could do v t (vc-dired-toggle-terse-mode).

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: VC: log of sub-directory?
@ 2009-12-29 19:23         ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-12-29 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
  >
  > >   > What about getting the combined log of two or more files/directories?
  > >
  > > If the files/directories are shown in the same vc-dir buffer, select
  > > them and do C-x v l

  > Yes, that was clear. But if the files/directories are not shown on the
  > vc-dir buffer (because them are not edited) ?

You can do the same thing from dired, select and C-x v l

  > OTOH I realize that that behaviour (showing only edited files) is that
  > the roots of vc-dir and most likely can not be changed easily.

vc-dir does not care, it can show up to date files too (and it does: for
example after a check-in).  If the VC backend sends a list of all files,
vc-dir can display them just fine.

* Re: VC: log of sub-directory?
@ 2009-12-29 19:32           ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2009-12-29 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:

>   > Yes, that was clear. But if the files/directories are not shown on the
>   > vc-dir buffer (because them are not edited) ?
>
> You can do the same thing from dired, select and C-x v l

[snip]

> vc-dir does not care, it can show up to date files too (and it does: for
> example after a check-in).  If the VC backend sends a list of all files,
> vc-dir can display them just fine.

Great! Thanks.

C-h k C-x v l says

"List the change log of the current fileset in a window."

I was not aware that "fileset" was so generic. Nice.

--
Óscar

* Re: VC: log of sub-directory?
@ 2009-12-29 21:35           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-12-29 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, emacs-devel

>> Yes, that was clear. But if the files/directories are not shown on the
>> vc-dir buffer (because them are not edited) ?
> You can do the same thing from dired, select and C-x v l

It's still annoying having to have both a VC-dired and a dired buffer
for the same directory just o as to run VC commands in
a particular way.  It hould be very easy to add a command like PCL-CVS's
cvs-mode-insert to add a particular file/directory to a VC buffer.