Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes: > "Stephen J. Turnbull" writes: > >> > We don't want to bother with MIME for short snippets. >> >> Then what do you think your MUA is there for? > > The support for embedding small snippets via MIME is dicey in some mail > readers, last time I looked. They present(ed) the first textual part as > the only visible text, and presented the rest as attachments. To contribute to the bikeshedding [1], I've composed an example email in gnus with inline Org-mode-syntax code, inline mime-annotated code, and attached (disposition=inline) code. The results as displayed by gnus, gmail and gmx are shown [2]. I don't know if gnus should limit itself based on the limitations of non-standards-compliant commercial software, but at the least it would seem that while the mime approach /should/ be the most portable it will in fact not be portable to many (maybe most) other MUAs. Since the only non-mime option is some sort of inline markup, although I personally don't mind the Org-mode syntax, I also like the indentation based suggestion as shown here. ;; -*- emacs-lisp -*- (defun foo () "bar" :baz) The only question there being how often would indented non-code be accidentally interpreted by gnus as code? Also, this solution is potentially more Emacs-specific than the existing Org-mode syntax. The following (attached disposition=inline) elisp works as an initial implementation of this behavior on my system.