* historial question: the first commits (is the conversion screwed?)
@ 2019-08-17 11:02 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-08-17 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

I know that Emacs used various VC systems, RCS, CVS, BZR and finally
git.

I got interested in the first commits, so I run
either

 git log --reverse

Or since I converted the repo to mercurial

 hg up 1

In both cases I see:

 ommit ce5584125c44a1a2fbb46e810459c50b227a95e2
Author: Jim Blandy <jimb@redhat.com>
Date:   Thu Apr 18 00:48:29 1985 +0000

    entered into RCS

commit ff9c6df4b0766bef72f6b1f4c8fca65737d9ad6b
Author: Jim Blandy <jimb@redhat.com>
Date:   Sat Dec 14 16:58:10 1985 +0000

    Initial revision

What puzzles me, is that there were so few commits when starting the
project and

Jim Blandy <jimb@redhat.com>

redhat in 1985, really?

From wikipedia:
Founded in 1993, Red Hat has its corporate headquarters

This is not really a serious issue, but I wondered whether the
conversion process worked reliable, at least for the first commits.

Regards

Uwe Brauer