Luc Teirlinck writes: > Where do we stand now in this thread? Obviously, I can not implement > David's suggestion as long as there is this error message (assuming it > would not give other problems, even without that message, which I can > not test). After playing a while, I could reproduce the same error here. In my environment, I needed to recompile everything (make bootfast) and start emacs without any preloaded Tramp (emacs -q). This should be the default for most of the people except me ... > Do I just commit my previously sent patch, or do we have the feeling > that there are bugs in Tramp which should be reported? There is a bug in Tramp. And you did sufficient reporting already, thank you. I don't believe I'll catch the bug tonight; it is some nasty autoloading cycle I guess. But I'll do it next days. When Tramp is preloaded (require 'tramp), your patch works fine. I've enhanced it a little bit according to David's recommendations: a custom option locate-update-path should provide enough freedom for calling updatedb sufficiently. From my point of view you could commit your patch in this (or your) version. > Sincerely, > > Luc. Best regards, Michael.