* dns-mode.el vs. zone-mode.el
@ 2006-08-09 18:15 Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-08-09 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: Simon Josefsson

Emacs 22 has a new package called dns-mode.el which does pretty much the
same thing as an older package called zone-mode.el, the latter being
part of Emacs since (at least) Emacs 20.

They are so simple that we probably don't need two packages for this.

Comparing the two yields the following observations:
- dns-mode's code to update serials is more advanced and probably more
  robust;
- dns-mode's font-locking is much better;
- zone-mode updates serials automatically upon saving, via
  `write-file-functions';
- dns-mode has a menu (but it has only one item so far);
- dns-mode associates itself with .soa files in `auto-mode-alist'.

So I'm proposing to merge the two by dropping zone-mode.el, making
zone-mode an alias for dns-mode, and making dns-mode update serials
automatically upon saving (so as not to confuse users of zone-mode).

What do people think?

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: dns-mode.el vs. zone-mode.el
@ 2006-08-09 19:03 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2006-08-09 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Emacs 22 has a new package called dns-mode.el which does pretty much the
> same thing as an older package called zone-mode.el, the latter being
> part of Emacs since (at least) Emacs 20.
>
> They are so simple that we probably don't need two packages for this.
>
> Comparing the two yields the following observations:
> - dns-mode's code to update serials is more advanced and probably more
>   robust;
> - dns-mode's font-locking is much better;
> - zone-mode updates serials automatically upon saving, via
>   `write-file-functions';
> - dns-mode has a menu (but it has only one item so far);
> - dns-mode associates itself with .soa files in `auto-mode-alist'.
>
> So I'm proposing to merge the two by dropping zone-mode.el, making
> zone-mode an alias for dns-mode, and making dns-mode update serials
> automatically upon saving (so as not to confuse users of zone-mode).
>
> What do people think?

Sounds good to me.  (Actually, I was not aware of zone-mode.el when I
wrote dns-mode.)

* Re: dns-mode.el vs. zone-mode.el
@ 2006-08-09 22:22 ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-08-09 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> So I'm proposing to merge the two by dropping zone-mode.el, making
> zone-mode an alias for dns-mode, and making dns-mode update serials
> automatically upon saving (so as not to confuse users of zone-mode).
>
> What do people think?

Agreed. dns-mode also has a better name. Yes, please incorporate the
serial update of zone-mode. It uses the same format I use (and most
people, I suppose), so that's good. Thanks.

* Re: dns-mode.el vs. zone-mode.el
@ 2006-08-10  1:14 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-10  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: simon, emacs-devel

    So I'm proposing to merge the two by dropping zone-mode.el, making
    zone-mode an alias for dns-mode, and making dns-mode update serials
    automatically upon saving (so as not to confuse users of zone-mode).

    What do people think?

Please do it.

* Re: dns-mode.el vs. zone-mode.el
@ 2006-08-10 20:15   ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-08-10 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: simon, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Please do it.

Done.

While I was at it I added a defcustom to control the automatic
incrementing of the serial, zone-mode didn't have one.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: dns-mode.el vs. zone-mode.el
@ 2006-08-10 20:19   ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-08-10 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> Yes, please incorporate the serial update of zone-mode. It uses the
> same format I use (and most people, I suppose), so that's good.

What I took from zone-mode is the fact that serials are incremented upon
saving, the updating code in dns-mode was already there and is much more
advanced than that of zone-mode (it supports a variety of formats).

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: dns-mode.el vs. zone-mode.el
@ 2006-08-10 21:06     ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2006-08-10 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw

Romain Francoise wrote:

> What I took from zone-mode is the fact that serials are incremented
> upon saving, the updating code in dns-mode was already there and is
> much more advanced than that of zone-mode (it supports a variety of
> formats).

FWIW, I've had this in ~/.emacs for some time:

  (add-hook 'dns-mode-hook
            (lambda ()
              (add-hook 'before-save-hook
                        'dns-mode-soa-increment-serial
                        nil t)))

Will the recent dns-mode changes cause me to increment the serial twice
on each save?

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

* Re: dns-mode.el vs. zone-mode.el
@ 2006-08-11  6:12       ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-08-11  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com> writes:

> FWIW, I've had this in ~/.emacs for some time:

>   (add-hook 'dns-mode-hook
>             (lambda ()
>               (add-hook 'before-save-hook
>                         'dns-mode-soa-increment-serial
>                         nil t)))

> Will the recent dns-mode changes cause me to increment the serial twice
> on each save?

Yes, but you can either remove that from your ~/.emacs, or if it's not
desirable for whatever reason, set `dns-mode-soa-auto-increment-serial'
to nil.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: dns-mode.el vs. zone-mode.el
@ 2006-08-11 17:55         ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-08-11 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> FWIW, I've had this in ~/.emacs for some time:
>
>>   (add-hook 'dns-mode-hook
>>             (lambda ()
>>               (add-hook 'before-save-hook
>>                         'dns-mode-soa-increment-serial
>>                         nil t)))
>
>> Will the recent dns-mode changes cause me to increment the serial twice
>> on each save?
>
> Yes, but you can either remove that from your ~/.emacs, or if it's not
> desirable for whatever reason, set `dns-mode-soa-auto-increment-serial'
> to nil.

This note should definitely be added to NEWS so that users of dns-mode
can proactively clean up their .emacs upon the upgrade to Emacs 22.

* Re: dns-mode.el vs. zone-mode.el
@ 2006-08-12 12:16           ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-08-12 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> This note should definitely be added to NEWS so that users of dns-mode
> can proactively clean up their .emacs upon the upgrade to Emacs 22.

NEWS is way too long already (6000 lines for Emacs 22.1 only), and
people who have this kind of customizations in their init files are
probably smart enough to realize what's happening if Emacs 22 increments
their serials twice...

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: dns-mode.el vs. zone-mode.el
@ 2006-08-12 17:14             ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-08-12 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>
>> This note should definitely be added to NEWS so that users of dns-mode
>> can proactively clean up their .emacs upon the upgrade to Emacs 22.
>
> NEWS is way too long already (6000 lines for Emacs 22.1 only), and
> people who have this kind of customizations in their init files are
> probably smart enough to realize what's happening if Emacs 22 increments
> their serials twice...

That's not a good reason not to mention it. A better reason is that
dns-mode didn't exist in Emacs 21 ;-).

* Re: dns-mode.el vs. zone-mode.el
@ 2006-08-12 17:17               ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-12 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:
>
>> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>>
>>> This note should definitely be added to NEWS so that users of dns-mode
>>> can proactively clean up their .emacs upon the upgrade to Emacs 22.
>>
>> NEWS is way too long already (6000 lines for Emacs 22.1 only), and
>> people who have this kind of customizations in their init files are
>> probably smart enough to realize what's happening if Emacs 22 increments
>> their serials twice...
>
> That's not a good reason not to mention it. A better reason is that
> dns-mode didn't exist in Emacs 21 ;-).

Definitely.