* Incompatibility in emacs & aspell-0.60.4
@ 2006-08-09  7:54 djh
From: djh @ 2006-08-09  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: henman

I am trying to establish where an incompatibility resides.

Suspicious points are in emacs's changes to ispell.el, the ispell-init-process, or most likely in the new (Oct. 2005) aspell code.  Or it might be my particular configuration with cygwin.  But, again I didn't have a problem with the old version of aspell
 and the new one works from the command line.

Description of the problem:

The error message is displayed after the 2nd successfull
(ispell-get-coding-system) upon trying to do another step.  See below:

File; ispell.el
Line: # 2535

	(set-process-coding-system ispell-process (ispell-get-coding-system)
				   (ispell-get-coding-system) ))
				                             ^
---------
Result: iso-8859-1 [2 times]
error: "Input file descriptor of ispell closed"
---------

If instrumented and issued a 'G'o cmd. the debuger stops at
line # 2560
	 (error "%s" (mapconcat 'identity ispell-filter "\n"))))

The is the same error message when ran without the debugger.

"ispell-init-process: Error: nroff: dlopen returned "No such file or directory".

I have sent out a similar not to the aspell group, but I want to ask if anyone on this group has tried to use

   cvs emacs with aspell-0.60.4

and if so did you have the probelm I ran into?

Regards,
   Darel Henman

* Incompatibility in emacs & aspell-0.60.4
@ 2006-08-18 16:35 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-08-18 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Description of the problem:
>
> The error message is displayed after the 2nd successfull
> (ispell-get-coding-system) upon trying to do another step.  See below:
>

> File; ispell.el
> Line: # 2535
>
>         (set-process-coding-system ispell-process (ispell-get-coding-system)
>                                    (ispell-get-coding-system) ))
>                                                              ^
> ---------
> Result: iso-8859-1 [2 times]
> error: "Input file descriptor of ispell closed"
> ---------
>
> I have sent out a similar not to the aspell group, but I want to ask if anyone
> on this group has tried to use
>
>    cvs emacs with aspell-0.60.4
>
> and if so did you have the probelm I ran into?

I am using cvs emacs with aspell 0.60.4, on GNU/Linux, and I don't
encounter any error.  The description you gave is not enough to work
with.  Please give a self-contained recipe for reproducing the
problem, starting from `emacs -q'.

* Re: Incompatibility in emacs & aspell-0.60.4
@ 2006-08-29  8:16 ` djh
From: djh @ 2006-08-29  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: aspell-devel, emacs-devel

> > The error message is displayed after the 2nd successfull
> > (ispell-get-coding-system) upon trying to do another step.  See below:
> > File; ispell.el
> > Line: # 2535
> >         (set-process-coding-system ispell-process (ispell-get-coding-system)
> >                                    (ispell-get-coding-system) ))
> > ---------
> > Result: iso-8859-1 [2 times]
> > error: "Input file descriptor of ispell closed"
> > ---------
> > I have sent out a similar not to the aspell group, but I want to ask if anyone
> > on this group has tried to use
> >
> >    cvs emacs with aspell-0.60.4
> > and if so did you have the probelm I ran into?

> I am using cvs emacs with aspell 0.60.4, on GNU/Linux, and I don't
> encounter any error.  The description you gave is not enough to work
> with.  Please give a self-contained recipe for reproducing the
> problem, starting from `emacs -q'.

Same result with emacs -q.

GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit) of 2006-08-29
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.5.21(0.156/4/2) 2006-07-30

Here is the self contained input to cause the error, iwthout fail, each time.

M-X ispell  <CR>

--------
RESULT displays:
"Starting new Ispell process [default] ..."
ispell-init-process: Error: nroff: dlopen returned "No such file or directory".

--------
nroff does exist.  So why does yours work and mine doesn't?

This only happens when invoked from within emacs. Command line invocation seems to work fine.

Something between emacs and aspell is amiss.  But, I don't know where.  Help in finding it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  Darel Henman

* Re: Incompatibility in emacs & aspell-0.60.4
@ 2006-08-29 20:27   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-08-29 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: aspell-devel

djh wrote:
>>> The error message is displayed after the 2nd successfull
>>> (ispell-get-coding-system) upon trying to do another step.  See below:
>>> File; ispell.el
>>> Line: # 2535
>>>         (set-process-coding-system ispell-process (ispell-get-coding-system)
>>>                                    (ispell-get-coding-system) ))
>>> ---------
>>> Result: iso-8859-1 [2 times]
>>> error: "Input file descriptor of ispell closed"
>>> ---------
>>> I have sent out a similar not to the aspell group, but I want to ask if anyone
>>> on this group has tried to use
>>>
>>>    cvs emacs with aspell-0.60.4
>>> and if so did you have the probelm I ran into?
>
>> I am using cvs emacs with aspell 0.60.4, on GNU/Linux, and I don't
>> encounter any error.  The description you gave is not enough to work
>> with.  Please give a self-contained recipe for reproducing the
>> problem, starting from `emacs -q'.
>
> Same result with emacs -q.
>
> GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit) of 2006-08-29
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.5.21(0.156/4/2) 2006-07-30
>
> Here is the self contained input to cause the error, iwthout fail, each time.
>
> M-X ispell  <CR>
>
> --------
> RESULT displays:
> "Starting new Ispell process [default] ..."
> ispell-init-process: Error: nroff: dlopen returned "No such file or directory".
>
> --------
> nroff does exist.  So why does yours work and mine doesn't?
>
> This only happens when invoked from within emacs. Command line invocation seems to work fine.
>
> Something between emacs and aspell is amiss.  But, I don't know where.  Help in finding it would be appreciated.

Was emacs invoked from the command line?  If you are invoking it via
a window manager, perhaps its environment was not initialized by your
shell's start up file, and that environment is being passed to aspell.

Why does ispell-init-process run nroff?

--
Kevin

* Re: Incompatibility in emacs & aspell-0.60.4
@ 2006-08-30  3:00   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-08-30  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: aspell-devel, emacs-devel

"djh" <henman@it.to-be.co.jp> writes:

> GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit) of 2006-08-29
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.5.21(0.156/4/2) 2006-07-30
>
> Here is the self contained input to cause the error, iwthout fail, each time.
>
> M-X ispell  <CR>
>
> --------
> RESULT displays:
> "Starting new Ispell process [default] ..."
> ispell-init-process: Error: nroff: dlopen returned "No such file or directory".
>
> --------
> nroff does exist.  So why does yours work and mine doesn't?

This is probably some cygwin problem, since it doesn't show up on
GNU/Linux.  Try doing `M-: (setq debug-on-error) RET' and showing the
backtrace.

* Re: Incompatibility in emacs & aspell-0.60.4
@ 2006-10-26 11:28     ` Agustin Martin
From: Agustin Martin @ 2006-10-26 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 11:00:21PM -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> "djh" <henman@it.to-be.co.jp> writes:
>
> > GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit) of 2006-08-29
> > CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.5.21(0.156/4/2) 2006-07-30
> >
> > Here is the self contained input to cause the error, iwthout fail, each time.
> >
> > M-X ispell  <CR>
> >
> > --------
> > RESULT displays:
> > "Starting new Ispell process [default] ..."
> > ispell-init-process: Error: nroff: dlopen returned "No such file or directory".
> >
> > --------
> > nroff does exist.  So why does yours work and mine doesn't?
>
> This is probably some cygwin problem, since it doesn't show up on
> GNU/Linux.  Try doing `M-: (setq debug-on-error) RET' and showing the
> backtrace.

Just to close this thread, this same problem was later reported by original
submitter to the aspell-user mailing list,

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/aspell-user/2006-10/msg00011.html

I am attaching the relevant part from Kevin Atkinson reply at

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/aspell-user/2006-10/msg00012.html

------
  you might want to try recompiling Aspell with
     "--enable-compile-in-filters"
  as suggested in
     http://aspell.sourceforge.net/man-html/Loadable-Filter-Notes.html
------

which was reported to work in that aspell-user thread. So this problem has
nothing to do with emacs files.

--
Agustin