* Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-02-28 21:47 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-02-28 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

I have some times looked at the doc string for delete-overlay to
convince myself that the overlay is not deleted by delete-overlay. It is
just removed from the buffer.

The doc string does not tell that part of the story however. It would be
nice if it did.

Perhaps the function should be called remove-overlay instead since it
just removes the overlay from the buffer. But my English is to weak to
tell if this is better. And delete-char deletes an "a" but "a" continues
to exist and I find nothing strange about that ...

* Re: Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-02-28 22:22 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-02-28 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> The doc string does not tell that part of the story however. It would be
> nice if it did.

The Emacs Lisp manual has an extended description.

Andreas.

* Re: Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-03-01  5:12 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-03-01  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

> I have some times looked at the doc string for delete-overlay to convince
> myself that the overlay is not deleted by delete-overlay.  It is just
> removed from the buffer.

I always felt like it should be called "overlay-detach" or something like
that, but I also always felt like it was much too late to change its name.

* Re: Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-03-01  5:27   ` Daniel Brockman
From: Daniel Brockman @ 2007-03-01  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> I have some times looked at the doc string for delete-overlay to convince
>> myself that the overlay is not deleted by delete-overlay.  It is just
>> removed from the buffer.
>
> I always felt like it should be called "overlay-detach" or something like
> that, but I also always felt like it was much too late to change its name.

Why not `detach-overlay'?

If all functions were named according to `TYPE-OPERATION',
what reason would we have to keep the `apropos' command? :-)

By the way, I agree with Lennart: while (to me) `delete' has
misleading connotations, `remove' is just right.

--
Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.se>

* Re: Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-03-01  8:14 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-03-01  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: emacs-devel

    I have some times looked at the doc string for delete-overlay to
    convince myself that the overlay is not deleted by delete-overlay. It is
    just removed from the buffer.

    The doc string does not tell that part of the story however. It would be
    nice if it did.

Would someone please spell this out?

(Note that it is impossible for a Lisp function to make an object
cease to exist.  As long as there are pointers to it, it will exist.)

* Re: Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-03-01  9:50     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-03-01  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.se> writes:
> By the way, I agree with Lennart: while (to me) `delete' has
> misleading connotations, `remove' is just right.

What connotations are those?

[For the most part, "remove" and "delete" are synonyms; I generally try
to always pair add/remove and insert/delete, just to keep things tidy,
but that's just me...]

-Miles
--
"Suppose He doesn't give a shit?  Suppose there is a God but He
just doesn't give a shit?"  [George Carlin]

* Re: Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-03-01 10:35       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-03-01 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader wrote:
> Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.se> writes:
>> By the way, I agree with Lennart: while (to me) `delete' has
>> misleading connotations, `remove' is just right.
>
> What connotations are those?
>
> [For the most part, "remove" and "delete" are synonyms; I generally try
> to always pair add/remove and insert/delete, just to keep things tidy,
> but that's just me...]

Since I am non-english I had to consult a dictionary now:

- delete: to eliminate especially by blotting out, cutting out, or erasing
- remove: to change the location, position -- but also to get rid of,
eliminate

I think the first meaning of "remove" is what our teachers tell us.

* Re: Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-03-01 12:17         ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2007-03-01 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
   Since I am non-english I had to consult a dictionary now:

   - remove: to change the location, position -- but also to get rid
   of, eliminate

   I think the first meaning of "remove" is what our teachers tell us.

Interesting!  As a native English speaker, the second meaning is
relevant.  I have never heard of the first, although it makes sense
etymologically, as in `move again'!

I would use a word such as `move' or `detach'.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         bob@gnu.org

* Re: Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-03-01 16:42           ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2007-03-01 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bob; +Cc: emacs-devel

Robert J. Chassell writes:

 > Interesting!  As a native English speaker, the second meaning is
 > relevant.  I have never heard of the first, although it makes sense
 > etymologically, as in `move again'!

Actually, I suspect you have: "removal service" (British term, I
think), "cousin once removed", "remove from consideration" (ie,
table), "remove an obstacle", "at a remove" (ie, detached), "remove
that apostate from our presence".  Replace "remove" with "eliminate"
in those phrases, and they become rather more bloodthirsty, don't you
think?

I think the connotation is "moving away" (to somewhere), including the
possibility of moving back.  Delete implies a return is irrelevant, or
perhaps impossible (viz, kill-OBJECT vs delete-OBJECT in Emacs).

Granted the usages are rather idiomatic, at least in American English,
but nonetheless I have to agree with the European consensus that the
connotations are different in a way relevant to the discussion.

 > I would use a word such as `move' or `detach'.

FWIW, XEmacs uses detach for the analogous function, `detach-extent'.
`delete-extent' also exists, which detaches the extent but has
additional semantics.  So I hope that (if the name changes)
`detach-overlay' will be chosen.

* Re: Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-03-01 22:33         ` Stuart D. Herring
From: Stuart D. Herring @ 2007-03-01 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Miles Bader, emacs-devel

> Since I am non-english I had to consult a dictionary now:
>
> - delete: to eliminate especially by blotting out, cutting out, or erasing
> - remove: to change the location, position -- but also to get rid of,
> eliminate

I think it's worth noting that deleting an overlay does in fact "cut it
out" of its buffer, as if it were a patch on fabric.

Davis

shipping.

* Re: Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-03-01 22:43   ` Stuart D. Herring
From: Stuart D. Herring @ 2007-03-01 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Lennart Borgman, emacs-devel

> (Note that it is impossible for a Lisp function to make an object
> cease to exist.  As long as there are pointers to it, it will exist.)

Many objects in Emacs can become "dead", and some of those, once "dead",
can never be used again, or only used again under special circumstances.
For instance, a marker or overlay in no buffer is dead but revivable, and
a killed buffer is dead forever.  Windows and frames can be revived via
restoring configurations, but cannot be purposefully resurrected, and so
lie somewhere in the middle.

The name `delete-overlay' looks more like the name `kill-buffer' than like
the name `set-marker', although it of course most looks like the names
`delete-window' and `delete-frame', which fall in the middle.  This, I
believe, is the source of (some of) the confusion.  I don't suppose that
anything but providing careful documentation can be done about it now, but
it's worth noting in order to better understand misunderstandings.

Davis

shipping.

* Re: Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-03-01 23:12     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-03-01 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: herring; +Cc: Lennart Borgman, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

"Stuart D. Herring" <herring@lanl.gov> writes:
> Many objects in Emacs can become "dead", and some of those, once "dead",
> can never be used again, or only used again under special circumstances.

I think such objects are oddities -- they typically work that way
because there's some external resource whose state cannot be revived.

-Miles

--

@ 2007-03-02  3:27         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-03-02  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: miles.bader, emacs-devel

    - remove: to change the location, position -- but also to get rid of,
    eliminate

    I think the first meaning of "remove" is what our teachers tell us.

That meaning is somewhat obsolete; I am always surprised when I see
the word used that way.

* Re: Remove delete-overlay?
@ 2007-03-02  3:28     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-03-02  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Brockman; +Cc: emacs-devel

I do not want to change the name of this function.