Richard Stallman writes: > > The standard convention when reading a value in the minibuffer is to put > > the default value in the prompt and make it available for editing by > > M-n. > > First, if we have three different notations, why this one should be > preferred as the default one? > > Because I made the decision that way. This is a general policy > I have adopted for Emacs. > > What format the input should have is a separate question. My question was about the three different notations for file modes, and why this one (-rwxrwx-wx) should be preferred as the one to express the default value. I wasn't questioning the way values are entered in the minibuffer at all. I was referring to what you call the format. -- | Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac | La culture c'est comme la confiture, | | http://michael.cadilhac.name | c'est meilleur avec du pain. | | JID/MSN: | -- MOI59 | `---- michael.cadilhac@gmail.com | - --'