From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emacs (HEAD) crash on M$ (XP) built with MinGW
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:28:19 +0900	[thread overview]

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > I can not try to reproduce it, as I don't have Lucida Sans Typewriter.
 >
 > Neither do I (it's an Adobe font that needs to be purchased).

Probably not.  In my experience, while Adobe legal has been more than
obnoxious in protection of "their" "property", Adobe technical is
generally sympathetic to the idea that open standards imply "open
source" implementations, and that if free implementations exist, it's
better for them to be good ones.

Probably all you need to do is write to Adobe, explain that their
product has been implicated in a crash of FreeType (not just
Emacs<wink>), and request a complimentary copy for development
purposes.

Surely somebody on this list has an acquaintance at Adobe, who will
see that this makes sense and vouch to whoever needs to sign off that
(a) they aren't going to get an additional sale by withholding this
copy and (b) Emacs developers aren't going to go around infringing
copyright by redistributing it.  If not, a message from Stefan or
Yidong as maintainer should do the trick.