* Difference between M-x and call-interactively
@ 2012-10-13 17:11 Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-10-13 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Apropos bug:

The bug pertains to focus shifting away from ediff control frame after
pressing `n'.  This problematic behaviour happens with vc-ediff and not
with ediff-files.  The current findings is that it happens just on my
Xfce machine. (IIRC, I have seen this on Windows XP.  I don't have the
Windows machine with me now, so I can't verify.)

I was trying to narrow this issue further and ended up observing
whatever the subject claims.

1. C-x C-f some-file
2. C-x C-w some-file-1
3. Make some random changes some-file-1
4. M-x ediff-buffers RET (some-file and some-file-1).  Press n in
control panel.  I note that the focus stays within the control panel.

Now instead of step 4 above, if I C-x C-e below form in scratch buffer

  (call-interactively 'ediff-buffers)

I see that the focus shifts away from the control panel.

In summary, M-x ediff-buffers gives correct behaviour.  But C-x C-e of
the interactive call yields buggy behaviour.

Any ideas on what could cause this behaviour?

ps: I thought I would move the discussion here so as to get more
eyeballs.

* Re: Difference between M-x and call-interactively
@ 2012-10-15 12:52 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2012-10-15 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > (IIRC, I have seen this on Windows XP.  I don't have the
 > Windows machine with me now, so I can't verify.)
 >
 > I was trying to narrow this issue further and ended up observing
 > whatever the subject claims.
 >
 > 1. C-x C-f some-file
 > 2. C-x C-w some-file-1
 > 3. Make some random changes some-file-1
 > 4. M-x ediff-buffers RET (some-file and some-file-1).  Press n in
 > control panel.  I note that the focus stays within the control panel.
 >
 > Now instead of step 4 above, if I C-x C-e below form in scratch buffer
 >
 >   (call-interactively 'ediff-buffers)
 >
 > I see that the focus shifts away from the control panel.
 >
 > In summary, M-x ediff-buffers gives correct behaviour.  But C-x C-e of
 > the interactive call yields buggy behaviour.
 >
 > Any ideas on what could cause this behaviour?

Unreproducible here on Windows XP.

martin

* Re: Difference between M-x and call-interactively
@ 2012-10-15 13:24   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-10-15 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

>> (IIRC, I have seen this on Windows XP.  I don't have the
>> Windows machine with me now, so I can't verify.)
>>
>> I was trying to narrow this issue further and ended up observing
>> whatever the subject claims.
>>
>> 1. C-x C-f some-file
>> 2. C-x C-w some-file-1
>> 3. Make some random changes some-file-1
>> 4. M-x ediff-buffers RET (some-file and some-file-1).  Press n in
>> control panel.  I note that the focus stays within the control panel.
>>
>> Now instead of step 4 above, if I C-x C-e below form in scratch buffer
>>
>>   (call-interactively 'ediff-buffers)
>>
>> I see that the focus shifts away from the control panel.
>>
>> In summary, M-x ediff-buffers gives correct behaviour.  But C-x C-e of
>> the interactive call yields buggy behaviour.
>>
>> Any ideas on what could cause this behaviour?
>
> Unreproducible here on Windows XP.

I think my memory is at fault.

I was thinking that the difference between call-interactively and M-x
could hold the magic key to resolving this issue.

If someone gives me a handle on how to go about debugging this issue, I
can take a shot at it (for it's own sake).