* Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-11 17:45 Aleksandar Simic
From: Aleksandar Simic @ 2012-12-11 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello all,

first time posting to the list.

Sorry about the broken thread:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-12/msg00169.html

Quick summary regarding the conference:

I have a venue and I started to contact some of the people who made
the proposals here:

http://emacsconf.org/

If you've 'subscribed' there, I'll update you as well once I have a
full list of speakers.

My motivation is not financial to get this organised.

If you have any questions (or complaints), feel free to contact me.

Thank you,
Alex

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-11 18:23 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-11 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandar Simic; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Alex,

thanks for organizing this.

Do you have a date or a date range for the conf?

If you need help, what can we do?

All best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-11 18:34   ` Aleksandar Simic
From: Aleksandar Simic @ 2012-12-11 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello Bastien,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> thanks for organizing this.
>
> Do you have a date or a date range for the conf?

Date range I'm aiming for: March 2013. But that will depend if the
speakers can make it. The venue will hold about 100.

> If you need help, what can we do?

Thanks for the offer!

Let me see what response I get back from the people that wish to speak
and take it from there. I'll update the list in a day or two with the
progress. If this is not desired (as in, inappropriate for this list),
please let me know, as I don't wish to step on any toes.

Alex

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-11 20:49     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-12-11 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandar Simic; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-devel

Aleksandar Simic wrote:

> Let me see what response I get back from the people that wish to speak
> and take it from there. I'll update the list in a day or two with the
> progress. If this is not desired (as in, inappropriate for this list),
> please let me know, as I don't wish to step on any toes.

I'll bite and say that I don't see why an Emacs user conference
should be discussed on the development mailing list (rather than the
user mailing list).

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-11 22:17     ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2012-12-11 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandar Simic; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-devel

Maybe you can discuss it on news:comp.emacs or #emacs @ irc.freenode.net.

--
Best regards, Fuqiao.

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-11 22:40       ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2012-12-11 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> * Glenn Morris <etz@tah.bet> [2012-12-11 15:49:33 -0500]:
>
> Aleksandar Simic wrote:
>
>> Let me see what response I get back from the people that wish to speak
>> and take it from there. I'll update the list in a day or two with the
>> progress. If this is not desired (as in, inappropriate for this list),
>> please let me know, as I don't wish to step on any toes.
>
> I'll bite and say that I don't see why an Emacs user conference should
> be discussed on the development mailing list (rather than the user
> mailing list).

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I will bite too:
because chances are the speakers will be the developers. :-)

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) X 11.0.11103000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://thereligionofpeace.com http://jihadwatch.org

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12  0:03       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-12  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandar Simic; +Cc: Xue Fuqiao, emacs-devel

IMHO the best solution is be to set up a separate mailing list for the
conf - for people interested in speaking, attending and/or helping.
This list would be advertized once here and on help-gnu-emacs@ and
other places (IRC, etc.)

Alex, can you set up such a list?

If needed, I can setup one and make you an admin.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12  3:34       ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2012-12-12  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Bastien, Aleksandar Simic, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris writes:

 > I'll bite and say that I don't see why an Emacs user conference
 > should be discussed on the development mailing list (rather than the
 > user mailing list).

Well, it would be nice if a few developers showed up.  Go to PyCon or
RubyWorld and compare attendance at non-Guido[1]-developer and
non-Matz-developer presentations to attendance at J-Random-User
presentations.  Bastien (as an Org-Mode developer) would be a draw,
DAK (as AUCTeX-Czar-Emeritus) would be a draw, but Stefan or Yidong
would be 5 times the draw, and Eli (w32stuff) or Miles (lexbind) or
Mike A (TRAMP, dbus) or Glenn Morris (who dat?! :-) might bring in 2X
as many people.

Agreed, developer invitations might be best handled with direct
negotiations off-list.  Maybe one explicit CFP here.

Footnotes:
[1]  Ie, a core dev != Guido van Rossum.  Wouldn't be at all fair to
compare Joe Shmoe to the BDFL, and you probably can't get RMS at a
random Emacs user conference anyway -- but if even 200 people show at
one, I bet he'll be there the next year!

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12  7:31         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-12  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: emacs-devel, Aleksandar Simic

> Agreed, developer invitations might be best handled with direct
> negotiations off-list.  Maybe one explicit CFP here.

Actually, if RMS Stefan and Chong could attend, this would be a
HUGE plus, both for other developers and for users.

A *rare* occasion to say thanks.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12  7:58     ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-12-12  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandar Simic; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-devel

Hi Alex,

I am glad to put a name on who is behind your web site ;)

You might see that I am organizing a small meeting end of June in
Stockholm. That has nothing to do with your conference.

Aleksandar Simic <asimic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me see what response I get back from the people that wish to speak
> and take it from there.

I can help you contact potential developers for a presentation if you
would like.

For myself I can present org mode with Getting Things Done.

help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org is probably a better place.
--
Ivan Kanis
http://ivan.kanis.fr

The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.
    -- John Milton

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12  8:14       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-12  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: Aleksandar Simic, emacs-devel

Ivan Kanis <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com> writes:

>> If this is not desired (as in, inappropriate for this list),
>> please let me know, as I don't wish to step on any toes.
>
> help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org is probably a better place.

For announcing events, yes; but for organizing them, I *really*
suggest using a dedicated mailing list.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12  9:22         ` Aleksandar Simic
From: Aleksandar Simic @ 2012-12-12  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Xue Fuqiao, emacs-devel

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> IMHO the best solution is be to set up a separate mailing list for the
> conf - for people interested in speaking, attending and/or helping.
> This list would be advertized once here and on help-gnu-emacs@ and
> other places (IRC, etc.)
>
> Alex, can you set up such a list?
>
> If needed, I can setup one and make you an admin.

Hello Bastien,

if you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate that :)

Thank you,
Alex

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12  9:28         ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2012-12-12  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Aleksandar Simic, Ivan Kanis, emacs-devel

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:14:57 +0100
Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> For announcing events, yes; but for organizing them, I *really*
> suggest using a dedicated mailing list.

I agree.
--
Best regards, Xue.

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12 12:58           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-12 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandar Simic; +Cc: Xue Fuqiao, emacs-devel

Hi Alex,

Aleksandar Simic <asimic@gmail.com> writes:

> if you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate that :)

Here you go:

I submitted a request for a gmane group too, I'll tell you
when it's up and running.

You can advertize it anywhere.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12 17:44         ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2012-12-12 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Xue Fuqiao, Aleksandar Simic, emacs-devel

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>IMHO the best solution is be to set up a separate mailing list for the
>conf - for people interested in speaking, attending and/or helping.
>This list would be advertized once here and on help-gnu-emacs@ and
>other places (IRC, etc.)

+1.

But FWIW I think even after this is set up, it still would be
appropriate to post occasional announcements about the conf over here on
emacs-devel -- for example, when dates/location are finalized.

* RE: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12 17:53           ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-12-12 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Karl Fogel', 'Bastien'
  Cc: 'Xue Fuqiao', 'Aleksandar Simic', emacs-devel

> But FWIW I think even after this is set up, it still would be
> appropriate to post occasional announcements about the conf
> over here on emacs-devel -- for example, when dates/location
> are finalized.

And on help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org (users, not just developers).
And perhaps on info-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, which is for announcements.

IOW: Discussion about organizing the conf on the dedicated list.  Announcements
to other lists where subscribers might be interested in knowing about the event,
but not necessarily interested in helping organize it or even necessarily
attending it.

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12 18:02             ` Aleksandar Simic
From: Aleksandar Simic @ 2012-12-12 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Karl Fogel, Bastien, emacs-devel, Xue Fuqiao

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> But FWIW I think even after this is set up, it still would be
>> appropriate to post occasional announcements about the conf
>> over here on emacs-devel -- for example, when dates/location
>> are finalized.
>
> And on help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org (users, not just developers).
> And perhaps on info-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, which is for announcements.
>
> IOW: Discussion about organizing the conf on the dedicated list.  Announcements
> to other lists where subscribers might be interested in knowing about the event,
> but not necessarily interested in helping organize it or even necessarily
> attending it.

Hi all,

the list is here:

Twitter info here: https://twitter.com/EmacsConf

I won't post to this list/thread regarding the organisation of the conf.

There might be single email in future with any announcement, but that's it.

Thank you all
Alex

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12 18:04               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-12 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandar Simic; +Cc: Karl Fogel, Xue Fuqiao, Drew Adams, emacs-devel

Hi Alex,

Aleksandar Simic <asimic@gmail.com> writes:

> I won't post to this list/thread regarding the organisation of the
> conf.

If you don't mind, I will.

Let's gather people on the dedicated list, get organized
there, then I'll forward any important progress.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs Conf
@ 2012-12-12 22:20             ` Xue Fuqiao